Recently, the ostrich was called the Australian ostrich. But with new information the watchers stopped doing it. Scientists have proven that EMU not ostrich, and closer in kinship to kazakovym.
Flightless long legged bird is the only planet in the genus of EMU.
Larger birds that looked very similar to ostriches:
- the body length is 1.5-1.8 m;
- the mass of an adult is approximately 40-50 kg.
- unlike ostriches, EMU has more loose feathers (plumage resembles fur). The feathers are usually brown-black in color, neck and head – black;
- EMU has no characteristic African ostrich features like two-toed legs and the bladder;
- torso denser;
- small head.
- the neck is long;
- the teeth are absent;
- the bill is pink with a curved end;
- eyes round in shape;
- wings up to 25 cm in length, have at the tips of the growths resembling claws;
- females much larger than males, hue of the plumage in both sexes is the same;
- can’t fly.
Site accommodation, meals
EMU – only Australian bird. In addition to the green continent also live on Tasmania. Dislikes noisy densely populated areas, regions with a dry climate, forest.
Wild birds can often be found just on the road. Farmers see them periodically in the fields that they don’t like, because birds damage the crops.
Logging of Australian forests has expanded the resettlement area, providing favorable conditions for living and reproduction.
In the diet of ostriches EMU included:
- small animals.
Love the owls and plant foods:
However, even fasting, not eating dry twigs and grass. Consume grains, for which they destroyed the first settlers from Europe. To grind food in the stomach, swallow sand and pebbles. The young are fed rodents, insects, lizards.
Continuous drinking of these birds is not required as the body uses the moisture very carefully. When I have the chance, drunk enough, and bathe with pleasure.
Interestingly, the eggs hatch, the male EMU, and not the female. This is one of the notable differences from other birds. The expectant mother was absolutely indifferent to their own masonry.
While the male incubates the eggs, the female may begin to mate with another ostrich.
- In the litter of 7-8 eggs weighing 700-900 g.
- The shell has a color from greenish-blue to deep blue.
- The incubation of the eggs lasts 55-60 days.
- The Chicks hatch with striped down.
- Fully grown fledglings become to two years.
In the wild the lifespan of ostriches EMU is 10-20 years.
The natural enemies of the bird almost never has, although young members of the hunt:
- wild boars.
Before the EMU was caught and the people, as they valued the meat and fat Australian ostrich. Now mind not facing extinction.
- Is a bird of dry open areas. They are attracted by shrubs and grass Savannah. Sometimes these “Australian ostrich” grazing on the outskirts of the deserts, to the center do not go.
- Lead a sedentary lifestyle. These birds have enough food all year round, so there is no need to migrate somewhere. But sometimes you can see partial seasonal migration, although this refers only to the populations of the ostrich, inhabiting the West of the continent.
- Large herds ostriches EMUs do not form, often gather in groups of 3-5 individuals.
- Adult EMUs run fast – capable of speeds up to 50 km/h!
- Ostriches EMUs are quite friendly and are harmless if not disturbed.
To form flocks of ostriches EMU is not peculiar. They move singly and in groups going when roaming or looking for food.
Each other birds communicate through loud staccato sounds, at once reminiscent of pohryukivanie and banging on the drum. EMU fall asleep at sunset. Sit on feet and sleep about seven hours. Awake every couple of hours. Excellent hearing and vision to warn about the danger in advance.
To distinguish males from females by behavior. During mating season the male calls a girlfriend to mate, uttering characteristic sounds.
The breeding of ostriches
Farmers contain ostriches because of their fat which is used in medicine and cosmetology. EMU oil is a natural moisturizer, healing and rejuvenating the skin.
In medicine, the fat is also used for the following purposes:
- prevention of pressure sores;
- the healing of surgical scars;
- when the disease of the joints;
- varicose veins;
- protecting your skin from frostbite and exposure to UV rays.
- strengthening nails.
Sports medicine products are used for stretch marks.
In cosmetology is part of serums, creams, sprays. Helps prevent formation of new wrinkles, to get rid of acne and eczema, heal scars, reduce the appearance of cellulite.
EMUs are bred in farms in the United States, China, Canada, Peru and other countries. In addition to the fat birds valued for their meat diet, and from the skin of birds doing haberdashery.
In the course are also eyelashes, feathers, claws, and eggs. Of whitened eggs turn out beautiful Souvenirs, and polished claws – unusual jewelry.
- The EMU egg barely fits into the palm of your hand.
- Height reaches 170 cm and a weight of 55 kg.
- Can’t fly due to the lack of the keel and underdeveloped wings.
- Develop high speed while running.
- The step size is about 3 m.
- The eyes and brain of the same size.
- Due to the lack of teeth the bird just swallows stones, glass and other items that help the digestive process.
- In danger birds is not hiding its head in the sand, and runs away.
- Adaptable to temperatures from -5 to +45 °C.
- Like swimming in sand.
A bit of history
European explorers described the EMU in the late sixteenth century Arabic and Portuguese the name means “big bird.” The first description of the species we can find in the work of ornithologist John Latham “Journey to botany Bay,” published in 1789, In those days it was six kinds of ostriches, but European settlers destroyed the birds because of the competition in the feed with the cows and sheep. There was only one species with three subspecies, depending on place of residence. Different birds shade in the plumage.