A leash for a leash on a fishing line is a convenient and practical device for attaching a powered fishing line of small diameter to a thicker main one.
This type of connection between the main line and the leash has several advantages compared to conventional knots: so, if you tie a leash to the main line with a loop, with casts it will twist less, get tangled and overlap the main line; replacing the leash will not require tying up labor-intensive knots; if desired, you can tie a second leash of a different length to the loop.
Due to such advantages, loopback is used in various types of fishing: from traditional float, feeder to sports spinning and carp.
That is why you need to know how to firmly tie the leash and make a reliable loop for fastening the leash.
Types of loops
Make such a simple and durable loop for a leash on the main line as “oak” (ordinary) is quite easy:
- From the folded fishing line do a simple loop with a size slightly larger than planned;
- The base of the resulting loop is fixed with the right hand;
- The upper part of the simple loop (top) is taken with his left hand and shifted to its base;
- After that, the top is wound up over the double line and is passed into the ring formed during such manipulations;
- The loop is formed with a uniform and slow pull of its base and the top in different directions.
Such a simple and rather quickly obtained loop is distinguished by high reliability and rarely diverges.
It is necessary to make such a loop for a leash on the fishing line as “English” (fishing) as follows:
- In the end, a simple cross loop is made.
- The base of the resulting loop is fixed between the fingers of the left hand.
- The end is inserted into the space between the thumb and forefinger. This forms a loop of a smaller size.
- The manipulations described above are repeated, with the only difference that the line starts and passes between the thumb and forefinger so that another loop is located between the original large and the extreme small.
- A small extreme loop is passed to the original large one.
- By the pull of the tip of this loop and basically form a loop.
The easiest way to make such a loop for a lead as a surgical line on a fishing line consists of the following manipulations:
- A simple loop made of doubled fishing line with its top starts up for it;
- The top of the loop overlaps through the double line and is twice passed into the ring formed during the previous operation;
- By pulling the top and the base, a strong and reliable loop is obtained, fixed by a surgical unit.
Video: How to tie a surgical loop on a fishing line for a leash
In addition to the loop described above, the surgical unit is used to tie hooks and leads to the leads.
In order to make such a loop on a fishing line for a leash as a figure eight it is necessary:
- Fold the line twice;
- In the place where it is planned to make a knot for fixing the knot, a small simple cross loop (ring) is made;
- The eyelet fixed between the index finger and the thumb of the left hand is taken at the top and rotates about its axis by 3600. The direction of rotation is chosen so that the eyelet twists rather than unwinds.
- The top of a large loop of double line is passed into a small loop;
- A large knot on the top of the loop and the base receive a figure eight knot.
Due to the strength and non-stretchability of the knot, such a loop is used for tying various feeder and carp snap-ins.
Lash for mounting the side leash
To make such a loop for a side leash as stationary correctly on a fishing line can be done quite simply by performing the following manipulations:
- In the place where it is planned to fix the side leash to the main line, a simple cross loop of 10-12 cm in length is made;
- The base is clamped between the fingers of the left hand;
- The top is taken with the right hand and is placed on the left hand;
- Then the top is intercepted by the left hand, the base is fixed by the right;
- The top goes down, after which the base is again intercepted by the left hand;
- 4-5 turns are performed in a similar way;
- After, as a result of the rotations performed in the middle of the strand, a gap is formed in it, the top of the loop is passed through;
- A knotted line in opposite directions draws a knot and forms a compact loop for a lateral leash.
Strong and reliable, it does not untie, does not stretch and withstands very large loads when hauling large fish.
The process of tying such a loop is clearly shown in the following video:
- Conveniently and quickly knit loops on a fishing line for a leash with such a device as a loopback-plastic or metal hook of a special shape, allowing you to make knots of a certain length. Homemade or factory loopback allows you to get the most durable and compact knots, it can also be used to connect together the main and the lead fishing line.
- In many pictures and video instructions, they depict a drop – this means that in order to avoid overburning the soft nylon mono-surface, it should be wetted with water. When used as a basis of braided cord, it is not necessary to moisten the knot to be tightened.
- To tighten the loops it is necessary to have on hand a solid round plastic or wooden stick. It is inserted into the top of the loop when tightening, so as not to injure the fingers. It is undesirable to use metal objects that have faces or edges – when tightening the knots at the base of the loop, metal can create scratches or cuts on soft nylon, which under heavy loads can cause the line to break in the loop.
- When tying the loops, at the end of the line on the tip that remains when tightening, before cutting it 2-3 cm above the place where the main knot will be, a small simple knot should be made. Its main purpose is to “insure” a loop against stretching while loosening a knot.
Thus, the loop for a lead made on the main line is the convenience, durability and reliability of the tooling in which this type of connection is used. This is achieved with the help of various knots, which make it possible to quickly and effortlessly make comfortable and necessary length of the loop for tying the leash to them. At the same time, they can be knitted both manually and with the help of such a factory or homemade device as a loophole.