Ice screws for fishing are used only when freezing, it serves to drill holes. The shape is correct, cylindrical, and this effect cannot be achieved.
Ice fishing from the ice is fascinating and interesting; during this period, small baits are used to catch fish, and they get into the water only after anglers use ice screws. This tool is one of the most important for the winter fisher; without it, fishing will definitely not work.
Now there are several types of ice screws, distinguish them by different characteristics.
Using the drill does not scare away the fish, the noise from this tool at a low level does not harm the fishing. The device and the principle of operation are very similar to the crank, which is used in construction.
In retail outlets you can find universal models that are used both for fishing and for construction purposes. Such ice-drills will not cut off the ice on the pond, but will split off pieces of different sizes.
Types of icebreakers and their price
In specialized stores will offer several types of ice screws, distinguish them by type of drive:
- Handheld has the most distribution. Ice can be drilled using it with your hands. There are one-handed versions, in which the handle is located on the same axis with the screw. Two-handed differ handles spaced apart on different sides of the axis. The cost of this type of model starts from 1500 rubles.
- Petrol powered by an internal combustion engine, this model has shown itself to be excellent at low temperatures. With an ice drill on gasoline, you can drill holes of large diameter, but the exhaust gases and the noise from the engine running can scare the fish. The cost of the product ranges from 25-50 thousand rubles, it depends on many additional factors.
- Electric is driven by battery power. Advantages are low noise level during operation and high performance with sufficiently convenient operation. A quality ice drill, powered by electricity, will cost from 18 to 30 thousand rubles.
Each of these models has either a telescopic design, or a removable handle. These characteristics will simplify transportation, will allow to drill a hole in a reservoir with a significant layer of frozen ice.
Device and characteristics
The tool for drilling holes in ice consists of the following parts:
- Handles, for the manual version, they serve directly as a working part, and in electric or gasoline they allow you to hold the ice drill in the correct position relative to the ice.
- The auger is located below the handle and is used to extract ice when drilling. It is a spiral made of durable sheet steel.
- The cutting part is the end of the product and is responsible for cutting into the ice. It can be represented by knives or a monolithic cutting head.
MaterialIce screws are most often produced from cold rolled steel sheets with high-quality coating over the entire surface. There are models of titanium, but the strength and lightness of such a product completely crosses out the noise at work, the ringing hum scares away all the fish in the area. In addition, a lot of ice on titanium products is often frozen with low thermometer readings.
Iron is rarely used, the strength of such a product will be high, but the weight will not allow to mix over long distances.
For convenience, the handle covered with hard rubber, for such a material is comfortable to hold, it prevents slipping, does not give frost in hands.
Ice screws are made from high quality steel.
Dimensions and weight of ice screws
Important tool sizes will be the screw diameter and length. The first indicator affects the size of the hole, the depth of drilling depends on the second one.
The average weight of an ordinary ice-breaker ranges from 2.5 kg to 3.5 kg, titanium models will weigh an order of magnitude less.
In the unfolded form, the drill can be from 1.5 m to 1.9 m, but this figure can be increased by a special extension.
The fisherman independently selects the required screw diameter, this indicator is influenced by the size of the fish in the pond.
|screw diameter in mm||purpose of the ice drill model|
|90-100 mm||for sport fishing|
|110-130 mm||under the balance weight and mormyshku|
|150 mm||for zherlits|
|180-250 mm||for large fish|
The most common first two options, the latter is used extremely rarely.
Types of knives for ice screws
Ice-screwing is completed with knives by the manufacturer, most often on the products one can meet two of their types.
This species is found on models of icebreakers of domestic production. Among the advantages experienced fishermen noted availability when buying, ease of replacement if necessary, compactness, the possibility of sharpening at home. The disadvantage is the frequent chipping of the corners of knives of this type.
Such knives are found in imported icebreakers, the advantages are smoothness during drilling, the almost complete absence of noise, high-quality drilling of old holes, excellent work even on wet ice.
This type of drill knife is divided by configuration:
- straight lines are distinguished by an absolutely smooth cutting edge;
- semicircular have a smooth rounded shape;
- gears differ in an edge with the cuts reminding teeths;
- the ledges have two steps with a straight edge on each.
Straight lines and ledges are considered universal, it is recommended to use semicircular for hard ice, and jagged ones will help in drilling wet soft ice.
Which ice drill to choose
It will be difficult for a beginner to decide on a model choice, and even more experienced anglers can not always find the right model. Before you go shopping, you should carefully study the market and all the necessary information, talk with more experienced comrades, read reviews about a particular ice-breaking model.
Choosing an ice drill, you should pay attention to this:
- The length of the rod, depends on it the maximum thickness of ice that you can drill. This indicator can be increased with special extenders.
- The diameter of the screw, the most popular are the models with indicators of 100-130 mm.
- The noise level when drilling, the loudest are titanium products, the rest of the indicators are about the same.
- Availability of the cutting element, knives in particular. Choosing a model is worth asking if you can find spare knives in other stores.
- Weight, you should not choose very light models, in transportation they will show themselves perfectly, but during the drilling process additional efforts will be required.
If in the future it is planned to use an ice drill for drilling the earth, it is initially necessary to clarify the presence of special augers for a specific model.
Check the integrity of the handles on the handle and the presence of a casing for knives before buying. These elements will help protect the product from damage of various types.
Rules of operation and storage of ice screws
With proper operation and appropriate storage conditions, the ice drill will serve faithfully for many years. For this you need:
- upon arrival home after each application of an icebreaker, cover all its parts with a thin layer of engine oil;
- do not knock the product on the ice, the knives in this case quickly become dull or break;
- it is categorically unacceptable to get rid of frozen ice over open fire, the properties of the metal change and the ice drill will quickly become unusable;
- it is advisable to immediately restore the damaged auger coating upon arrival home, otherwise it will not be possible to avoid corrosion;
- it is not advisable to put a wet drill in the snow;
- Do not knock on icy knives with a hammer or other objects.
Store the product in a dry cool place, at the end of the season it should be carefully checked, lubricate all knees and threaded joints, paint scratches on the auger and handles. Only careful care will help to prolong the service life of ice screws for a long time.
Ice screws are an important tool for the angler, without which there can be no winter fishing at all. Properly selected model and meticulous care will allow you to enjoy your favorite activity.