Salted herring at home is a very tasty and simple dish, everyone can cook it. Served as a separate snack or added to various salads. It is recommended to choose a fresh carcass and make an ambassador yourself, so that the fish does not turn out too salty. Often you can see worms in a herring that was bought at a store. You can use such a product if the fish has been properly processed.
Before preparing herring dishes, it is recommended that you familiarize yourself with the main information. For example, you must know: what is salted herring useful for, how to properly prepare it, how to store and avoid parasites, what to cook from fish. In addition, there are other popular issues that concern most people.
Herring is an affordable fish that can be prepared in many ways. The most delicious is the salted herring, served with vinegar and onions, vegetable oil. Potatoes are usually chosen as a side dish, but there are several more options. It is easy to salt a fish quickly and tasty yourself if you know the rules. Popular dishes from herring: heh, a simple salad or roll.
- How to choose fresh fish? The carcass should be dense and shiny with a pleasant smell, the sides of the herring are rounded and have a steel color. Various spots of a dark yellow hue, violation of the integrity of the skin, dark toads indicate poor quality. If the herring is sold in pieces and without a head, then it is better not to take it. This is how sellers try to hide the spoiled carcass. It is better to choose a live fish, but frozen is also suitable. It is thawed slowly, shifting from the freezer to the refrigerator, and only then left at room temperature.
- Preparing for salting. Most often salted whole herring without cutting it into portioned pieces. It is advisable to cut it ready-made, that is, before serving. First you need to wash the fish well, and then cut off only the gills. If desired, you can remove the insides, but the whole is much tastier.
- Is it possible to freeze salty herring? The answer to the question is yes, but the carcass should be properly prepared and then thawed. Do not use a battery, microwave, or hot water for these purposes.
- How to carve a herring? Many refuse fish, because they do not know how to cut it. It is necessary to do this in the following sequence: cut off the head and tail, then make an incision from the beginning of the abdomen to the tail and remove all the offal. Leave only caviar, everything else can be thrown away. Rinse the carcass inside under running water and then dry with a cloth. At the end, the fins are cut off and the skin is removed (for this, the skin is pulled upward from the tail towards the head, as if obliquely so as not to tear the meat), making a preliminary incision on the back. It remains to rinse again, get wet with napkins, remove the spine with small bones and cut into pieces.
- How many calories are in the dish? Usually calorie content per 100 grams is 200-220 kcal (BZHU – 19/15/0), so when losing weight, such food is not entirely useful. Do not forget that salt retains fluid in the body, because of which weight can increase after a meal.
- Can salted herring be breastfed? The fish contains a huge amount of protein and nutrients: selenium, vitamins A and B, iodine and much more. It is permissible for a nursing mother to gradually include herring in the diet after 2-3 months of feeding, but this should be done in small quantities. If the baby has acne, redness or itching, then you need to abandon the new product. It is better to eat only homemade fish or try to buy a fresh product from trusted suppliers.
- Parasites in the product. Very often (especially in purchased fish), small thin strips are visible, which are anisakides or simple worms. They also affect the human body, for this reason it is not worth eating such food. If you believe the statistics, then most of the fish are infected with parasites, it is allowed to sell it. You can get rid of them by following simple processing rules. The herring must first be frozen and thawed, and then sent for analysis. Only after these actions is it acceptable to salt the fish using a cool ambassador for 10-12 hours. Dead anisakides are safe, just remove them and rinse the carcass.
Particular attention is paid to salting fish, as the process takes a lot of time and requires compliance with the rules. The finished product may turn out to be tasteless, for example, very salty. Worms in a salt herring will remain if you use a little salt. They can seriously harm the human body and cause some diseases.
Proper salting of fish at home
There are several ways to make salty herring yourself. Almost all of them are simple and do not require any special products or kitchen utensils. Salt in brine and or pouring, whole or cut into small pieces. There are many recipes, but first you need to find out the simplest options.
One incomparable recipe is to salt the whole fish. It will take a liter of pure water, 200 grams of salt and 1.5 tablespoons of sugar. You need to choose a fresh carcass, wash it and cut off the gills. Dissolve loose ingredients in warm water, bring to a boil and cool. An enameled or glass dish is taken for the process, plastic is not suitable. It is ideal to make a herring in a jar in brine, where the fish will be stored for up to two weeks. Pour cold brine, set oppression and leave in the kitchen for one hour. Next, the jar should be stored in the refrigerator for at least 12 hours. For salted fish, 1-2 days are needed, insisting is allowed up to three days.
Salting with vinegar is as simple as the previous recipe. However, many people consider this method more tasty, the fish is obtained with a pleasant acidity and piquancy. You can just sprinkle the finished carcass with a little vinegar. For two fish, they take 300 milliliters of water, one tablespoon of salt, 1.5 tablespoons of vinegar (9% solution is required), a little pepper peas and a couple of bay leaves. As always, the fish must be washed and cut off the gills. Next, prepare the marinade for salted herring: mix the salt with water and spices, boil. Pour vinegar and cool to room temperature. Transfer the fish into the brine, close the container with a lid and leave it at home for 2-4 hours. Next, you need to put it in the refrigerator so that the salting is more correct.
The lower the temperature, the better the product is salted. After the process is completed, the carcass is taken out, cut and cut into small pieces. Pour oil on request and add onions or chives.
How to keep salted herring at home? For long storage, a brine with herring for the winter, in which the fish can stay up to 14 days, is suitable. The temperature should be no more than +7 degrees and at least 0, otherwise the liquid will turn into ice. If you get very salted fish, then it should be soaked in cold water.
An original and interesting recipe for salted fish is to use alcohol. Herring filling is prepared from a bottle of beer, several peas of black pepper and lavrushka. The base for the brine needs to be boiled, pour pepper and bay leaves, then cool. Cut the carcass into small pieces, cutting off the head, tail, fins, gills and removing the insides. Lay in layers in a glass container, add a dressing for fish, tightly close the lid and leave in the cold.
Another unusual option is a mustard dressing with mayonnaise for pickling herring in pieces at home. In it, the carcass is stored for only 2-3 days, so it is not worth cooking a large number of fish at once. First you need to cut the fish into small slices, removing large bones and skin. Separately, mix 2 tablespoons of fat mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon of liquid mustard and the same amount of lemon juice, season with spices, then pour a little sugar. It will take 1 small head of onion, which is finely chopped and added to other ingredients. Put the fish in a container, pour mustard mixture and tamp. Cover and clean in a cool place for 24 hours.
What is salted fish eaten with
Salted herring can be served as a separate dish without oil or with it, as well as onions. It will add pungency and make the taste of the fish less pronounced. A popular side dish for herring is fried or boiled potatoes, in addition to it, vegetables are also served: green peas, beets, sauerkraut or pickles.
How to pickle herring onions? It is necessary to chop the onions in half rings, add 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1 tablespoon of salt, pour 2-3 tablespoons of vinegar 9% and mix. After 5-10 minutes add a glass of hot water and leave for several hours. You can add such onions to any salads, pastes and main dishes.
Salted herring Xhe is a Korean dish that is very popular in Russia. Many cook it at home quickly and very tasty, suitable for a festive table or everyday menu. Usually they take fresh fish, but salted is allowed. The taste is a little different, but it does not spoil the snack at all. Calories in salted herring with vegetables: 140 per 100 grams.
Ingredients for cooking fish in Korean:
- fish – 700 gr;
- fresh carrots – 3-4 pcs.;
- onions – 1 pc.;
- garlic – 6 cloves;
- soy sauce – 2 tbsp. l;
- vinegar – 7 tbsp. l;
- vegetable oil – 2 tbsp. l;
- sugar, salt – 1 tbsp. l;
- red pepper, cilantro and sesame seeds to taste.
Cut the carcass (remove entrails, head, fins, gills, tail and bones), peel and rinse under running water. Chop the fillet into small pieces, transfer to a plate or pan, pour vinegar and mix. Next, you need to close the container, install oppression and wait 20-40 minutes. At this time, you can prepare vegetables: chop the onion in half rings, and grate the carrots on a medium grater. Drain about half of the brine from the fish, add vegetables, chopped garlic, add salt and sugar. Mix the pieces well, then add your favorite spices (sweet or hot peppers, coriander, seasonings for Korean dishes are suitable) and stir again. Cover with a plate, place cargo and leave in a cool place. At home, a very tasty fish will be ready in 12 hours or a day.
Probably everyone knows the most popular salad with this fish. For a long time, herring under a fur coat was the main dish on the New Year’s table for most of the population of the USSR. Now they forget about it, because every day there is a huge amount of new recipes. Originally, you can serve herring under a fur coat if you make roll from a salad. The taste remains the same, and the presentation looks much more interesting.
You will need the following products:
- thin pita bread – 3 pcs.;
- mayonnaise – 200 g;
- beets – 2 pcs.;
- carrot – 2 pcs.;
- chicken eggs – 5 pcs.;
- salted herring – 1 pc.;
- greens – a small bunch.
Boil beets, carrots and eggs in advance. Cut the oval pita bread in half and put on a foil sheet (it is necessary to roll the roll later), grease with mayonnaise. Grate beets, distribute evenly on pita bread. Lubricate with mayonnaise, then cover with a sheet of pita bread, anoint it again with mayonnaise and put the grated carrots. Do the same with eggs and herbs, greasing pita bread with mayonnaise. The last layer is greens and herring, cut into small cubes. Now you need to carefully roll everything into a roll: take one side of pita bread with foil and twist the salad. Without foil, the thin dough will break and all the filling will fall out. Leave the roll in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, then remove and cut into circles. Similarly, you can prepare a simpler dish from other products: mix herring, eggs, onions and herbs together,