Among the huge diversity of breeds of domestic chicken, laying hens are the most common. It is not strange, because such birds are renowned for their low maintenance, excellent egg production and good meat quality. Buying such a bird is a good investment that quickly pays for all costs.
- building a quality chicken coop with good ventilation and optimal temperature indicators;
- the arrangement of the cells;
- preparation of nests for laying hens.
The main features of the last stage we will discuss in our today’s article. It is important to understand that the lack of a good nest will be the cause of the frequent searches eggs around the house or the surrounding area, where you will walk birds.
To build a nest for laying hens with your hands is not as difficult as it seems. It was important to follow the instructions and pay attention to all the small details. This will prevent possible problems in the future.
Varieties of nests for laying hens
In our days, the farmers and novice growers use several types of nests for laying hens.
- A special box for egg hens. Looks like a normal house-a box with an aperture for entrance of a bird. The dimensions of this design remains optimal for adult chicken. It is important to teach her to sit in one place and swing without leaving the nest. The number of cells depends on your desire.
- Design with accessorial. To make nests for laying hens with their hands can be another method. It involves the use of special trays near the nest in which the birds will lay eggs. A good advantage of this option is low risk of damaging the eggs.
- Articles of cardboard boxes from the appliance or basket. A great solution that is easy to do with their hands. The design is very simple: take two cardboard boxes and connect them with each other through hole. But unfortunately, this option is suitable only for short-term use. If correctly to arrange the nest, the hen will not feel significant discomfort when going to lay eggs.
The sizes of nests for laying hens do not depend on its type. Basically, these characteristics remain the same and are determined only by the size of chickens.
The optimal depth of the socket is 30 cm. Width and height the same.
If in the nest will carry meat species with large dimensions and weight dimensions must be 35х35х35 inches. Before you apply the materials in action, they need to thoroughly clean from knots and other defects that can harm the bird. Any protruding objects, you can overwrite the file or cut with a grinder.
How to make the right nest for laying hens with their hands
Ways to create a successful laying nests there are many. To consider each separately makes no sense, so we will focus only on some of them. Very comfortable and high-quality capacity for incubation can be an ordinary plastic box or wooden box in which to put the sawdust, hay, straw or other similar bedding. The design is placed in a sheltered, lightly shaded area. In one basket can be up to three chickens at a time.
If you are going to build more complex and enclosure, use the following methods.
Is a multi-functional design, downed with plywood or thin boards.
To work you need to apply the following materials and tools:
- Board or plywood;
- screws or nails;
- screwdriver or a hammer;
- the saw;
Initially, you need to treat the plywood sheet sandpaper to rid it of protruding parts, knots and other defects. After this plywood can be cut by following the calculation (35х35х35 centimeters). Then you need to put together a box to strengthen the corners of the beam. You also need to fill in protruding nails and to arrange the holes inside the box, which will serve as “input-output” for the birds.
It is important to seize the opportunity of securing take-off platform. It is enough to attach a horizontal bar along the entire length of the structure. The floor is covered with soft material, and the nest placed at a height of 30 centimeters.
Option socket with accessorial more complex, but it is quite possible to do with your hands, without the need for special construction skills or experience. The design is made ready of the box, with optimal sizes, or of some boards and plywood. To work you need to apply: a container for eggs (a simple shelf under the vegetables, which is installed in a refrigerator or any other capacity), hammer, screws or nails, metal mesh, saw, screwdriver.
First you need to put together a box without a top and the front, using chipboard or plywood sheet. Size is determined by the characteristics of the chicken. It is better to use the basic standard, 35х35х35 inches. At the bottom of the box is fixed inclined plane, which is used as the metal mesh. It should be at a slight incline and fall towards the back wall. The back of the box drills a hole on which the eggs will roll freely in the container without risk of damage to the shell. Then to the rear of the structure to attach the container, shots his sawdust or other softening material.
Cut a hole for the eggs can be covered with a cloth that will cushion the fall. The bottom part of the box is better to put warm bedding.
What better place to install the nest
After completing the procedure for creating a nest for laying hens with your hands, you can navigate to the correct location of the structures in the chicken coop. At this stage it is important to consider a lot of features, including the physiological needs of the bird. Experienced farmers and poultry farmers are guided by the basic rules of placement of nests.
The house must be installed at a height of not less than 30 inches from the floor.
The minimum cross-section of the roost should be at least 5×2 cm and located 10 cm from the entrance of the house.
As flooring it is better to use sawdust or dry hay. In the latter case the hay needs to change to prevent it rotting.
To ensure good ventilation at the bottom of the socket apertures or use a floor made of metal mesh with a small cell.
The nest is better to keep in a well-darkened quiet place where there are no pests or rodents.
Roost should not be put near the entrance to the room with the birds, because even with a good heating system the chances of exposure drafts is not excluded. A strong wind can cause many poultry diseases and the rapid deterioration of eggs.
You should not attach the socket directly to the wall. Unreliable hardware can lead to disastrous consequences, including the death of a chicken.
You also need to avoid the installation of structures in areas with high humidity. Such environmental conditions are ideal for the development of colds, reduction of egg laying and other health problems poultry.
How to care for the nest for laying hens
Making a nest for laying hens with their hands it is important to ensure adequate disinfection and timely cleaning. Poultry should have free access to the tray with the eggs and flooring.
The bird quickly got used to the new place, the house is set in the coop before the start of laying. Should initially weigh the “pros” and “cons” to give hens the best conditions for a complete and comfortable hatching eggs.
If you want to quickly teach the bird to nest in a new place, follow these basic rules:
- Do not place the nest in an inaccessible place. Entrance to it must be convenient and fast.
- Regularly change the straw, sawdust or hay, to prevent mass reproduction of the colonies of parasites and rotting material.
- Take care of the optimal temperature mode. With drafts, close all openings, and during sudden cold snaps put in the room good heating system.
- In the basket you can put small gravel that will save you from the problem of adhesion of eggs in process of hatching.
- Use only proven food and special vitamins to improve egg production.
If for any reason the chickens bad rush or do not agree to sit in a nest in a new place, you may have to make another design, carefully reviewing all the previous shortcomings.