The content of the chickens in cages is gaining a lot of popularity among gardeners and professional farmers. This is achieved due to the compactness of the host birds, and also because of the convenience and ease of maintenance. Such cages for chickens can be done independently with their own hands, following the instructions that will be given below.
Of course, each design is (and the question now is not even on the cells, and absolutely about any thing) has its advantages, but also disadvantages, which, unfortunately, cannot be avoided. But to understand whether to use cages for breeding birds, you need to know about them, including their cons. Only in this way will develop the correct view.
The pros and cons of cell
The content of the chickens in the cages means that birds will be placed in a small area. It provides a large space saving.
Cages for chickens can be of several designs:
- Stationary that will be installed on the floor or attached to the wall and subsequently never get away with the already designated areas. These cages for the chickens are not mean permanent move to a new location.
- Portable, which will be equipped with castors or legs. This is necessary in order to at any time of the year it was possible to transport the bird.
The positive qualities of the content of chickens in a cage
- On any square you can fit a large number of chickens. But savings are not the only good feature. Greatly reduce the costs of heating and lighting during the cold periods. Because of good and convenient construction the cage is very easy to clean compared to if birds lived in pens. And also reduced the cost of the litter.
- Birds can’t throw food around. This is very important because in cases when chicken rowdy and the food scatters everywhere, it is very unprofitable. As part of the feed simply disappears. Savings feed through the cells reaches about 15-20%.
- Water will always be clean, it will not be contaminated with litter and various waste.
- Improved sanitary and epidemiological conditions in the yard. After all, the bird will live in a cage, because she will not be in contact with other birds, and this will limit the risk of disease and poisoning.
- Chickens who live in cages, will be in constant security. They will not be able to be attacked by various animals such dogs, cats or wild rodents.
- Greatly simplified, the collection of dung and feeding the birds.
One square meter can easily accommodate one or two chickens, which have different sizes. The main criterion of the density of settlement is, of course, the degree of comfort for the chickens. If you notice that birds begin to behave badly, and conflict, it demonstrates small level of comfort and landing too close to the “neighbor.” Birds are given to understand that feeling too closely.
In this case, you need to build more cages for chickens, the least weak otherwise chicken can be killed stronger. Also, how close chickens are to each other depends on the egg production. If the chicken does not want to lay eggs, then you need to ensure that they were not too crowded.
- In limited space a laying hen will be less mobile, and therefore reduced the term of her life. For the hens of a good breed such content is not recommended. But for those chickens, which are designed to produce eggs and meat, such content is acceptable.
- Must mineral supplements. Because in those cases, when a laying hen is in a free state, it receives all the necessary for your body by eating insects and worms, and fresh greens. And in that case, if the bird is constantly in a confined space, then, of course, this is not happening and you need to take care of her man.
- To ensure good egg production, you need to install good lighting.
- If the bird is in a state of high accuracy, it is necessary to regularly monitor the condition of birds, because infected chickens by infectious disease disease transmitted instantly and the others.
Poultry farmers with more experience are recommended to reduce the negative influence of cells in the summer to make these designs with birds inside, outside, and then put them under the canopy, and also give to feed the chickens, fresh vegetables and herbs.
To make the contents of hens in cages more comfortable, you will need:
- put birds in cages for chickens in winter only;
- to ensure that birds were not closely;
- feed the birds fresh grass and vegetables in winter;
- you must use a Mat under each bird.
Design cages for chickens
To make the cell very easily with your hands from almost any tree, which is found on the site. This design will ensure the hygiene and good ventilation. But most often, for the manufacture of the cells used galvanized metal mesh, which are fixed on a frame of wood or metal. In such cells there is good air circulation, and if there are still Windows, reduced lighting costs.
Cell consists of:
- front wall;
- pan in which to gather eggs;
- pan for droppings.
The floors in the cells of the grid are made of mesh bias on the front under an angle of 7 or 10 degrees. The front part of the floor is equipped with a groove which serves as eizariya. The eggs will gently slide into this design, which is outside the cages for laying hens, because will remain intact, as chicken will not be able to crush them by accident.
The litter tray should be set approximately 10 and 15 centimeters lower than the floor. And its production is made from galvanized sheet. The feeder is mounted on the front of the wall, it should be above eizariya. And about 10 or 15 centimeters above the put the drinker.
Side and rear part of cage for laying hens is made of plywood or OSB, but it is better to do these walls of lattices. This will ensure the hygiene and good ventilation. Cover can also be made of lattice. This is necessary to ensure that the cage could be put on the street and there was natural light.
The door combines with the front wall and it is hinged for ease of cleaning and maintenance of cages for laying hens.
The required dimensions
There are some rulesthat you must follow to the inhabitants of the cells feel in complete comfort. One square meter is 2, or even 8 individuals. The main criterion is a free pass to the chicken feed and water. Therefore, preferably the depth of the design to do about 50 or 60 cm, and width depending on stock, 60 or 120 cm. Wider types of cells are very inconvenient, because the floors will SAG, and the tray where the litter is dumped, it will be too heavy. In the end, the cell simply will not withstand the load and break.
Below are the sizes that are recommended for cells with different number of chickens:
|The number of chickens heads||Depth, m||Width, m||The height of the rear wall, m||Overall height, m||Area per bird, sq. m.|
If the chickens in the cage are egg-meat, the area should be increased by about 30 or 40%.
The necessary materials and tools
To make a cage for chickens will need the following materials:
- Processed wood (all wood materials must be carefully polished, otherwise chicken could get a splinter or seriously injure yourself) the bar size of 40*40mm or 40*50 mm, Length is 3 meters. You will need 5 pieces.
- Bar thickness 20 mm or 40 mm. it is Necessary 3 meter in 2 pieces. A grid of metal suitable for the side walls, floor and ceiling. The width should be 1 meter.
- Grille, metal front wall. Width of 1 meter.
- The parts of metal that will be used to manufacture the frame. If you plan to wall-mounted cage, they will be used in the manufacturing of the canopy.
- The screws are galvanized.
- Tinplate sheet thickness of 1.5 mm.
- electric jigsaw, handsaw;
- screwdriver set;
- tape measure, square and level construction;
- pencil or other writing object.
Manufacturer of cages for laying hens
For a start it is necessary to apply the markup on the materials that will be used to manufacture the frame. Now you need to take the prepared bars 40*40 mm and distribute them according to selected dimensions. All the ends are protected with sandpaper. Workpiece clamping is made by means of screws.
To strengthen the frame can be screwed to the gusset of plywood on the sides. To place the bottom tray, need to do the flooring and lattice bar 20*40 mm. From the same bar made frame of the door. If a frame is made of metal profile, all the details need to fasten using screws on metal. The Assembly will take place from the area or profile of the pipe. You can use the welding machine if it is available at home.
The floor is made of grating. First, you must cut the mesh to required sizes, the cutting edge is bent in the form of a tray. To strengthen the floor you need to use a transverse support bar 20*40 mm. Distance between them is not less than 20 cm Block must be treated with antiseptic, you can use varnish. Then the grid is attached to the bar with screws.
Side and rear wall is sheathed by a grid of metal, you need to secure it with screws. To avoid extra work for cutting the mesh, you can just bend the finished piece and attach it. The front wall of the door is covered with mesh. To have the doors locked, you need to install the latches. Cover is made from lattice or plywood that is impregnated with a moistureproof composition. Everything is attached with screws.
The tray is made of galvanized sheet. The front edge can bend and get a kind of handle. Place the tray on the top of the bar.
To chicken well eggs, you need to install proper lighting. For this purpose you can use led strip. Accommodation you need to make so that all parts of the cages for laying hens evenly lit. The backlight if you wish, you can automate your own hands to set the timer and the right time.
That’s all. Cage for chickens, gathered their hands, ready to use.