Each of us has at least ever wanted to love someone. In childhood, we asked dog, cat, parrot and all the animals, which is in the living area of the school/garden. My mom wanted a pet that one day brought home a frog and said that she will live in the bathroom. Then my grandmother gave up and allowed the kitten. His fate was tragic, but not about this. The point is that in my childhood were all Pets: 7 cats, 3 dogs, decorative rats, fish, hamsters 4 or 5 breeds (don’t remember) ,snails, parrots and many other wild game have passed through our home “veterinary clinic”. So I will continue to tell you about a lot of things from my own experience.
Hamster breeds with pictures and names.
- Syrian (I had it and even a whole family of several generations!)
- Dzungar (also familiar with this breed recently)
- Angora-a Royal (Very beautiful breed! These, too, I had on the farm!)
- Breed Roborovskogo.
- Radde (Dagestan).
Now when we look at them, find out what the difference between
- The size of the calf. Acceleration is very large – from 4 cm(long-tailed) to 28 cm(Radde).
- Colors. From albino with red eyes and white fur to black stripes and spots.
- Character. There are active, it is aggressive, but loyal and amenable to taming, there is calm and even a bit lazy.
- Smell. Yes, it is, but depending on the breed he is either weak (assuming regular cleaning) or non-existent, as it is artificially bred species, then such a thing as a “mark territory” in quantities of wild rodents, they do not.
- Weight and reproduction. Hamsters, like rabbits, if you eat a lot – sleep a lot and gain weight if you eat a moderately active way of life.
- The noise at night.
- Training. I will say this – accustomed to the human way of life, I managed 2 — the Syrian and Angor. That is, they slept at night and awake during the day, the exception was the winter season, then almost all the breeds are very much asleep. Do not be afraid!
The characteristics of each breed
- Syrian. Color black and beige. A fairly quiet animal. Not explosive, difficult to ruffle. Very rarely sick, trainable. Loves affection and human hands. Life expectancy is very low -on average 2 years.
- Angora — Royal. Actually it is kind of the breed of Syria but for their whimsical color and tail-robe of steel to distinguish from Syrian. Very pleasant to the touch, often in a ponytail confused sawdust, so rodent always smells like wood. Also as Syrian, calm, netimperative hamsters.
- Jungar. Black hamster. Tiny razor! Very restless, but choosing one owner – never run away (remember the natural smell of the human body). do not recommend to buy such a baby baby and child under the age of 7-8 years. The body is fragile and small, will not withstand the uncontrolled arms children’s palms. Quickly get used to hands. Bad co-exist in same-sex unions, even if they are related (fight). In couples live peacefully and they reproduce a lot. Rarely, infantile, lazy. I constantly wheel saw. The night rustled horrible. But I exhibited them to the kitchen and great sleeping. In the morning I was waiting for the beady eyes and tiny pink paws on the twigs. Also lives on average 2-3 years.
- Campbell. Color black-light brown. Also a kind of dwarf breed. But that’s not the Jungar! They are often confused. Not very friendly guys. Can not tolerate any chemical smells – fragrant Soaps, perfumes, creams, lotions. Can pinch if a strong smell. For me it was a problem. Although the child they did not touch me ever pinched. No, not that bit – puncture of the skin was not so, was a little crushing teeth, although I am frequently told about cases when Campbell bit the owner. The choice is yours.
- Taylor. Perhaps the smallest breed. The weight of an adult reaches 8-10 g. Feature these guys in what a male and female together to care for their kids! This behavior is usually attributed to mice. If you want to watch the couple and their family – then this is your case.
- Breed Roborovskogo. Tiny crumbs only 4 cm long.They have long legs. Very playful and smart! Not stand alone and will not live long, and all because in the wild they live with their entire clans! In a network of burrows with multiple generations. If you have a few, then life will boil and boil! For them it is very interesting to watch. But if someone emerges from the house – to catch him will be very difficult, because of the small size and nimble disposition.
- Longtail. Not so small – 10 cm body and tail to 5cm That is on the palm you can see it well. Love to hide and build structures out of hay. Choose 1 of the owner and he don’t run. To the rest of the family calmly and patiently. Remember the smells. Sensitive to weather changes.
- Albinos. Are not black! Actually is not a separate breed. (as in humans not a separate species). Albinos can be of any breed rodents. The question is the melatonin, which defines the iris of the eye, skin color and hair. Albinos have the pink nose, white fur and red eyes. Not to be confused with just white individuals. It’s just a colour.
Of course, it’s not all the types of hamsters, their more than 250 species. But these were bred for life with humans.
The contents of hamsters
Of course, buying a hamster, you need to think about his house, feed, litter, house, drinking bottle. Which is better, as describe below.
Buying a hamster and choosing for his abode, first of all, you need to consider the breed and size. If it is a dwarf Djungarian or Taylor, I would advise you to purchase an aquarium. But not plastic, as it is now fashionable! A couple of my Pets after eating plastic, simply went to heaven for rodents. If it is Syrian or Dagestan, and then you Lodge with sticks, but not what is not copper and not wood, in any case! All pererytitsa safely for the first night! Cage, and the aquarium should be spacious, with adjustable floors (which they love). With wheels, a trainer, a feeder and drinker.
Of course litter — sawdust and hay to the house. No Newspapers with ink! Max – toilet paper. Well, if in a cage pull out bottom,very convenient to clean the cage. Harder with an aquarium – everything you need to get the pet also .
That’s all you him/her set, the night has passed, and the next morning is a mess! House in one side, a trough in the other. There is not necessary to climb, the animal itself will equip him. Usually the corners — pantry, to sleep, to eat, and where to defecate. So they are very smart and clean! And talk about the fact that hamsters smell like pigs come from careless owners!
Cleaning the cage of the animal, I was always half his vault-half poured back into the feed (it seems to have not noticed).
Of course, as the cat and any other bathroom/toilet at least once a month, the General need to clean and disinfect. Don’t forget about it, and the rodent will not be parasites, and you have a headache and a bad smell in the apartment.
Care of by the hamster
Oddly enough, these animals need care!
- If the breed is long-haired (Syrian, Angora) they need to be brushed at least every other day, as the fur rolls, Kubla and it is a lot of things confused. Can be brushed with a toothbrush, and places with longer sections of hair – a small comb with a few teeth. And combing, special attention should be paid to the belly, the inner part of the legs.
- If the Shorthair breed them enough times in a week to put out a bowl of roasted sand or a special dry blend for swimming rodents.
- Teeth are constantly growing, so if the feed a little of the solid elements, they grow and can injure the mouth of the animal. Include the diet of cereals sticks, or make them yourself: hardwood, pre-clean the wand dip into the egg white and then sprinkle dry food hamster with the addition of nuts and seeds.
- The marigolds. Also growing! If your home runs not enough, claws grow to such a size that prevent it to walk! Everything is simple — obstriegel nail scissors, retreating 1-15 mm from the finger.
- Bathing is not advisable. But if a rodent somewhere in a heap, my it with baby shampoo, and in any case, not soap. So that the surface faces the running water did not fall. Muzzle wipe with a damp clean cloth. But no wet wipes in packs! Remember the little hamsters don’t like the smell!
The basic hamster diet should be cereals: wheat, oats, sunflower seeds, alfalfa, corn. And additives: peanuts, dehydrated carrots, cereals, rice balls, raisins, dried Apple, chalk, etc. for the first time! Dyes and unnatural pink parts should not be. Choose food in transparent containers in order to be confident in your choice.
In addition, the hamster need to give juicy fruits and vegetables, preferably seasonal. Cucumbers, pumpkins, carrots, apples, pears, courgettes, bananas, and parsley. But the sweetness and honey that can harm the animal, just like a melon with watermelon. Follow the availability of clean cool water! And don’t feed the hamster that eat themselves! Spices, heat treatment, etc. can cause intestinal blockages and death of the rodent. Hamster – cute pet, care!