Veliferum – medical preparation intended for treatment and prevention of viral and bacterial infections in cats.
Produced Veliferum for cats in the form of solution for injection. In each milliliter of solution for injection contains Veliferum feline interferon in the amount of 400 thousand international units. In addition, the drug contains helper components – glacial acetic acid, sodium acetate, sodium chloride, Polysorbate, sodium salt EDTA, etc. the basis for the solution is water for injections.
Externally, the solution looks as a transparent liquid, colorless or slightly opalescent.
Solution for injection Veliferum is prepackaged in glass vials with a volume of 3 ml. each bottle contains 2.5 ml of liquid. Vials sealed with rubber stoppers and aluminum caps seamed. Vials with solution are placed in packs of 2 or 5 vials in each and applied to each carton instruction for use.
Store the medicine should be in original, unopened packaging, in a place where there is no access to direct sunlight. Don’t leave the package near the feed for animals or food for humans. You need to store in places inaccessible for children. Storage temperature should be in the range of 2 to 8 °C. Once you can freeze the drug to a temperature of minus 25 °C.
The shelf life of the medicinal substance is 2 years from the date of production under proper storage conditions and respect for the integrity of the factory packaging. Opened vial can be stored in the refrigerator for 5 days. Upon expiration of the keep and use the drug is prohibited.
Veliferum for cats in its pharmacological properties, belongs to the group of immunomodulators.
- The solution for injection has immunostimulatory effects and antiviral activity.
- The active ingredient feline interferon – suppresses reproduction of RNA— and DNA-containing viral particles.
- Increased resistance of healthy cells in the body of a cat to the effects of pathogenic viruses.
- Enhanced phagocytic activity of macrophages.
- Increased cytotoxicity of lymphocytes against bacterial and viral elements.
According to the degree of danger to the body — this drug belongs to class 4 – low hazard. For use in therapeutic doses it does not deny the local irritant or toxic resorptive effect.
Veliferum prescribed for cats with medical and prophylactic purpose:
- Acute bacterial and viral infections of the digestive system.
- Acute respiratory viral diseases.
- All other diseases cats with viral or bacterial nature.
- Anemia of various origin.
- Avitaminosis and hypovitaminosis.
- Helminthic and protozoal infestation.
- Acute and chronic intoxication.
- Postpartum and postoperative conditions with secondary immunodeficiency.
Method of application and dosage
Veliferum prescribed for cats intramuscular injection.
- To prevent viral and bacterial infections in the event of threats to the infected animal is introduced 200 000 IU of the drug twice. The interval between doses should be 48 hours.
- With the purpose of treatment and bacterial, viral and mixed infections the drug is administered to the animal in a daily dose of 200 000 IU. The full course of treatment is 5 to 7 days. Parallel treatment with antibacterial drugs, serum immunoglobulins. All the drug is prescribed in accordance with the instructions for their use.
- If the illness is severe, the daily dosage can be increased to 400 000 IU. Increase the dosage can only be the attending veterinarian.
Never mix medication in the same syringe with other drugs. May be administered through different syringes in parallel with immunoglobulin serums or drugs for chemotherapy.
Contraindications and side effects
Like any medical drug, Veliferum has a list of contraindications.
- Individual intolerance and hypersensitivity to any component of the drug. Is considered as the present condition of the animal, and cases of intolerance in history.
- Severe allergic disease.
- Autoimmune diseases.
- It is forbidden the introduction of the drug Veliferum injections for 10 days after scheduled or emergency vaccination of a pet.
It is not recommended to prescribe the drug to pregnant females.
Security measures and personal prevention
When the drug is administered to an animal, you must carefully adhere to safety regulations stipulated by the instructions for use. First and foremost, it is important to observe rules of personal hygiene.
If the medicinal substance accidentally hit on open skin or mucous membranes, should immediately wash the place of contact with large amounts of clean running water.
Persons who have hypersensitivity to the drug should avoid direct contact with the solution. In contact with skinand the development of an allergic reaction should seek medical help. It is preferably x to capture the label of the drug or the instructions for use.
Is strictly prohibited the use of the empty container from-under medicines. It must be disposed of together with household waste.