The toyger is a breed of cat, whose name is translated as tiger-toy or a toy tiger. The breed is rare, high-status, expensive and a sign of prestige and respectability in society. Judy Sugden, the author of the breed, has set itself the task to bring the kind of cat that most resembled their appearance tigers. Experiment breeder managed. Conducting breeding work, Sugden said that her designer breed is to remind people about the tigers, if these rare animals will not be able to protect them from extinction.
The founder of the breed, Judy was brought from India in 1993. The shape of the head and ears of a cat I was like a tiger. Careful breeding has led to a successful outcome. In 2000, for the first time, the toygers were recognized officially. The international cat Association have included animals in their lists in 2007.
The breed is very young and the standard is still under development. Breeders constantly strive to bring individuals with smaller eyes, more rounded ears, light fur on his belly and rich orange stripes. Attempts to breed with the basic white (silver) color to obtain white toyger is not albino. At the stage of formation of the breed of toygers were crossed with Bengal cats. Mating was required for fixing the physical features of the breed. After the official recognition of the “decorative tigers” such interbreeding was forbidden. Now created a rigid scheme of breeding toygers helps to preserve the purity of the breed.
The norm in TICA for the toygers is:
- Body weight. Animals are large specimens. The weight of females and males varies from 6.5 kg to 10 kg depending on sex.
- The structure of the body. Body with well developed muscles, athletic type with broad chest. The height between the chest and the surface must be equal to the height of the housing. The overall silhouette is smooth, strong bones.
- Head. The skull is rounded, of medium size.
- Face. Has the shape of an inverted heart. The jaw and chin with clear contours, bite the standard form. Nose extended from the nose to the nostrils. The best option is, if the width of the nose equals the distance between the eyes. The bridge of the nose may be slightly concave.
- Eyes. Small or medium, located at a slight inclination relative to the ears, wide-set, intense blue, amber, green.
- Ears. Medium-sized, “brushes”, rounded with dense hair on the temples and ears.
- Limbs. The shoulders are smoothly, setting his paws wide, claws of the same length. The fingers are long and large.
- Tail. Low rise, long, dense, flexible.
- Color and hair. Color — brindle tabby. Short, soft, elastic wool has an embossed effect which was achieved through the presence of long hairs of a darker shade. A sign of good breed is a more dense cover on the cheek bones, temples. The undercoat may include gray hairs. Hair must be of uniform color. Iridescence of the coat is permissible only in the case that do not interfere with the contrast color.
Cat breed toyger has features uncharacteristic of conventional colour mackerel tabby:
- Contrast is an important feature of coat color in cats toyger. The main coat should be bright red almost orange color acceptable color variants including brown shades. The cat may have a darkened back, but the dark stripe along the spine is invalid. Excluded the existence of clear circles, spots, parallel bands of color.
- Presence on forehead spot, commemorating a butterfly is necessary.
- Eyes, lips, base of whiskers marked with a black eyeliner. The tail and feet skin should be black.
- Dark bands diverge in the neck, not rounded as in conventional color black tabby.
- The white “points” on the face a sign of breeding.
- The color of the body allows for a limited number of elongated spots. Welcome to the wide stripes on the body, which can bifurcate to form small weave.
The nature of the cat breed toyger absolutely not “tiger”. Cat owners consider them to be exceptional good. Toygers — family Pets, they get along well with members of the “pack”, be it dogs or children. Outgoing and loving, playful, but always feeling the desire of the owner alone, Pets are surprisingly comfortable for keeping in private home and apartment.
The instinct of the predator — not the strong side of the breed, but the hunting game is included in the daily activities of toygers.
Pets at a young age can easily tolerate a change of residence, travel, travel. In the more Mature age of toygers increases attachment to the housing. Animals do not like spatial constraints, so it takes time to accustom them to carry.
The toyger requires physical activity, the cat will refuse to run on rough terrain. If the owners are going to leave the animal for a long time alone, then they should take care of your leisure pet.
Cat breed toyger responds well to training, they rapidly learn the rules of conduct. Usually on the sixth week of life the kitten is able to master the art of using the tray.
Homemade tigers are experiencing a psychological crisis during the period of adolescence. Grown up kittens undergoing hormonal surge that affects their behavior. Pet can challenge the owner, wishing to demonstrate their maturity, self-sufficiency. “Riot” will quickly come to naught if the right to handle animals, allowing the teenager to “discharge” from time to time.
Recommendations for use and maintenance
Toygers burdensome breeds, they need the classic treatment which includes normal hygiene procedures, selection of suitable food, attention to health, security.
Hygiene care need:
- Wool. To care for short coat of toygers easy, the specific care and private bathing is not necessary. It is recommended to wash your pet as needed moisturizing shampoos. “Cubs” are usually themselves successfully caring for hair. Help is needed only during the molting season, when the old undercoat is removed using a special brush.
- The eyes and ears. Eyes wipe with a cotton swab dipped in warm water, removing any secretions. Ears treated with a cotton pad soaked in liquid paraffin. Hygienic procedures are carried out weekly.
- Claws. Toygers have sharp and powerful claws. Kitten as early as possible, it is recommended to train him to sharpen claws. Claws regularly trimmed.
- Teeth. Predisposition to diseases of the teeth of toygers no. Like all cats with age, the risk of Tartar formation. Eating dry food partially solves the problem. Nibbling pellets of dry food, cat wipes, a primary plaque. Required to conduct regular examinations and preventive cleanings teeth.
The main requirement to the power of toygers — compliance with balance. Special attention is given to adequate intake of micronutrients, given the strong bones of the animal. Nurseries used to feed dry food premium and super premium class.
It is believed that as a result of selective breeding toygers were deprived of the instinct of finding a trace. Therefore, if “home tiger” is lost, he will not be able to return home.
In connection with this feature of the breed, it is recommended to do a serious emphasis on the observance of safety measures, even if the cat does not go on walking. Although all pedigree animals kiperousa not be superfluous to accustom your pet to the collar with an address token and a bell.
The implementation of the recommendations for care and maintenance ensures the toyger long (15 years) and full of health life. Strict control matings gave the breed a lack of genetic diseases and abnormalities. Such problems prestigious breeds of cats as allergies, digestive disorders, susceptibility to dysbiosis and weight gain for the toygers is not relevant. The animals well tolerated the vaccination. Pregnancy and childbirth usually take place without complications.
The acquisition of kittens
Breeding work on the improvement of the breed together with Judy Sugden are no more than 50 nurseries around the world. Prior to sale all kittens are sterilized and sold as Pets. Mating never spend at home. All the crossing is heavily regulated. The kittens toygers were recognized only with a clean pedigree. Mating with other species of cats is strictly forbidden by the author of the breed. These circumstances explain why this pedigree toyger can only be purchased at a specialty nursery.
Toygers are considered a rare breed, so the cost of a purebred “home tiger” high. The price of a kitten ranges from 1 thousand to 3 thousand dollars.
Toy tigers road, but due to its sophistication, elegance, cheerful disposition are popular, and the interest in them is not quenched.