Of course, cats on leashes lead is extremely rare, but this does not mean that your pet does not need a collar. A good collar is not just a decoration — it can help the owner find a lost pet, protect from fleas, treat and tame the overly temperamental pet.
The range of collars for cats is very rich, so choose the accessory you need on the basis of its functionality. The most common are the following types:
- Against parasites. Will help rid the animal from the torments of fleas and ticks. It can also be used as a prophylactic for cats who do a lot of walking and are at risk of catching parasites. Popular models of domestic production (bars) and foreign (“Hartz”, “Beaphar”). However, you should know some features of these accessories. First, you shouldn’t wear them kittens and pregnant cats. Second of all, flea collars often have a very sharp and unpleasant smell, which can irritate not only the animal itself but also its owners. For this reason, from the purchase of such products it is better to refrain people reacting strongly to odors, and those who have small children. Third, the active ingredient can cause a cat’s allergic reaction — such as redness or rash. If you notice the pet Allergy symptoms, immediately remove the accessory and wash the cat with warm water with special shampoo. Before you put on a pet collar, slightly pull it to the side to activate the active substance.
- Decorative. Its sole purpose is to decorate the pet (for example, for exhibition or photo shoot). Such accessories are not recommended to keep the cat permanently — as the animal is unlikely to share the views of their owners beautiful, decorative collar will only bring him discomfort. Therefore, it is recommended to wear this kind of jewelry just for exhibition or for a memorable photo, and after to remove. Decorative collars for cats are often very expensive, so it is better to purchase them from private individuals. Popular accessories of the German company TRIXIE.
- Samorastekayushchikhsya. Good collar for kittens and those pussies who love to walk — if the animal would get stuck somewhere or something hooked accessory opens and will not allow the cat to choke. Can be elastic (stretchable and allows the animal to pull the head) or with a special cut (if the cat somewhere stuck, it will break).
- GPS. Electronic accessory, which will not allow your cat to get lost. Wherever the animal ran away, using the satellite observation you can easily observe the trajectory of its movement. The disadvantages of such models are only two: high price (about 10 thousand) and the probability that, enticed by the expensive toy, any craftsman will remove it from the neck of your fluffy. By the way, keep in mind that navigators for dogs cats do not fit.
- Phosphorescent or reflective. Animal wearing such a collar, visible in the dark even at a distance of 800 metres. The accessory may be completely or partially made of reflective material. Some models have a sensor that automatically turns on in the dark. If you are afraid that the pet can get lost in the dark or to get under the car at night, the acquisition of such funds. Although an absolute guarantee, unfortunately, he does not.
- Sound. Could be equipped with simple bells and an electronic system. With this accessory you will ever hear your pet and are unlikely to lose it. However, it is possible that the sound of the collar for cats will eventually begin to irritate the animal and you. Models of such a plan — a good option for cats who live in the countryside and often attacking poultry and small animals.
- Identification. Inexpensive and very practical accessory that makes it easy to find the animal if it gets lost. The most common model with a medallion engraved with the name of his cat and the coordinates of the owners. If the animal is lost, people who found it easy to return the pet owners.
- Soothing. Great for temperamental cat who likes to roughhouse and fight. Such collars for cats are impregnated with a special pheromones that soothe even very violent animal.
- Magnetic. These accessories are of two types: normal and therapeutic. In the first case, in collar for cats embedded an ordinary magnet, allowing it to get into the house (for example, through a special flap in the door), and in the second treatment, by which the animal disposes of pathologies of the stomach, kidneys, joints, or intestines.
How to choose a collar for the cat
When choosing a collar for the cat in the first place we must proceed from the needs, like pet and your. Of course, not the last role play and financial capabilities. But there are some General rules that should guide the choice:
- Any collar for cats should be safe — in particular, it is easy to get loose when the animal suddenly need to take it off. Remember that a cat is not a dog, and the collars of a nature walk is not accustomed, so if the accessory for something is hooked, and the animal will not be able to pull out of his head, it would suffocate.
- However, the collar should not like to hang on the neck, and to be too tight. When you put the accessory on the cat, check under it to freely pass finger.
- For long-haired animal collar choose carefully — wool should not cling to the clasp and to deliver the cat inconvenience.
How to wear
So, you understand the needs of the animal and got him the right model. The question arises: how to teach your cat to this accessory?
- Accustom the animal to the collar gradually. First put it on half an hour, the next day, for an hour, then two, and so on. This applies to all models except the flea.
- Before you put on the animal with a new accessory, give him something tasty to the procedure were associated with pleasant emotions.
- If the cat refuses to wear a collar, do not insist, do not persuade, and certainly not raise a pet voice better to postpone the procedure until the next time.
And last — do not try to accustom to the accessory kittens up to six months. At this age animals is too small and the collar can serve as only an additional factor of injury.