Diarrhea in an adult animal is causing concern to its owners, what can we say about the diarrhea in a little kitten that can be a threat to his life. It is important not only to know why the baby could start diarrhea, but to be able to take action to help your small pet.
Diarrhea is usually accompanied by certain symptoms that are easy enough to find:
- a sharp reduction or complete loss of appetite;
- drowsiness or constantly depressed condition of the animal;
- weight loss;
However, if you are sure that the reason lies in the disturbed diet, you can treat the animal on their own, most importantly, do it wisely.
The most common causes of diarrhea in kittens
For starters, the kitten diarrhea — more frequent than the Mature individuals. This is due to the emerging body: the kitten is still growing and every time his body can handle the food. This is also accompanied by another weak immune system of the baby.
The main causes of diarrhea:
- various infections — bacterial or viral;
- worm infestation;
- the abrupt change of regime or diet meals;
- poisoning with chemical substances.
Most often, diarrhea is typical for kittens who have just appeared in the new house. For a small body the new place of residence becomes a lot of stress. The owners, who are ignorant of proper nutrition for cats can start feeding kids regular food. Such a diet for a small body contraindicated, as they need special food. Over time, the mustachioed pet begins to elicit the most delicious bites, which can lead to obesity of the animal.
Another common problem are worms that affect almost all kittens. Get them, you can even milk from the mother or other kittens.
There are situations where children will need the intervention of veterinarians:
- the diarrhea has blood or mucus;
- the duration of diarrhea more than a day;
- liquid and abundant stools;
- pet meows plaintively for a long time, evidence of severe pain;
- vomiting and diarrhea at the same time;
- constant thirst.
The presence of at least one symptom requires immediate medical intervention. Treat the kitten at home will only lead to danger to his health.
How to treat diarrhea in the kitten, depending on the symptoms
Depending on which of the three main reasons caused diarrhea (worms, nutrition, or infection), it will be possible to choose a method of treatment of the animal.
In case of infections use various serums with antibodies or antibiotics, which suppress the secondary flora (develops on the mucous parts of the bowel). Also, as treatment can prescribe probiotics that restore the gut microflora.
To get rid of worms, there are special drugs in the form of suspensions or tablets.
Intestinal spasms helps relieve Papaverine, which further promotes normalization of peristalsis.
Given that the kitten is dehydrated, treat little friend will have with the help of dropper. If possible, drugs can also be administered intravenously. But, given the particular nature of the young organism, in most cases, restricted to subcutaneous injections.
If the animal is vomiting because of the improper diet, then better for a while not to give him food. Suppose first that the body will cope with the food that didn’t fit a kitten. The best would be a period of up to 4-6 hours, in rare cases, up to 12. But rememberthat the kitten is still very fragile organism, and it is not a long feed is not necessary.
What if diarrhea is an unusual color
Normal color of stool is brown and its shades. If a small animal chair a different color, then this signal need to pay attention.
The basic colors and the reasons for this chair:
- green suggests that in the stomach of the pet stale food that is infected with putrefactive microflora;
- the gray color is displayed along with a rancid odor and means that the kitten has a digestive disorders;
- white stool can indicate liver disease, and problems with the bile flow;
- red and black diarrhea means that somewhere there is bleeding;
- yellow indicates that the pet is poorly digested food;
- orange means that the baby has liver problems.
What to give a kitten diarrhea: the drug list
You can’t treat a kid without prescriptions the vet, but there is a universal tools that will help your baby to ease the suffering:
Activated charcoal suit, if the kitten diarrhea due to indigestion. If the pet behaves playfully and he is active enough, you can give him some coal.
Enterosgel as an indispensable tool for the fast help. It cost to give in the beginning, when I noticed the first signs of diarrhea. Of course, this drug will not be a full substitute for and treat the pet need, but helps to cleanse the body of toxins.
Smecta will help to make the stool less liquid and it can be given to kitten. But one should be very careful in dosage and do not overdo it.
Enterofuril. This drug can only be treated kittens older than one month. More small animals can cause an allergic reaction. Better to give a suspension, since in this form the drug has a milder effect.
How to treat kitten diarrhea at home
If your pet is playful and his condition is not worrisome, it is possible to treat the pet and on their own. Most importantly, understand how to do it right.
Tips on caring for a kitten with diarrhea:
- to abandon low-quality forage and move to a more quality product.
- in the first day to give your child only clear water, after 12 hours you can feed him very small portions;
- to provide the kitten with clean water and, if necessary, rearrange the bowl thereto;and
- to reduce the amount of gases in the intestine can give the baby a little bit of carbon or smecta. For this you need to push the pill into a powder and to feed a kitten with a pipette, diluted powder in a small amount of water;
- if diarrhea is not serious, then in any case impossible to give your pet antibiotics. They affect the intestines and this can lead to the deterioration of his condition;
- give your baby a rest and provide quiet so the kitten could have a good rest.
Every owner of a small lump of happiness wants to see him healthy and happy. It is important to consider the needs of a small body and care for the kitten in accordance with them. A growing kitten needs special feed and care, which will help him grow into a full-fledged feline. In case of trouble, the main thing is not to panic and to follow the guidelines and know what to do to alleviate the condition of the baby. If his condition causes concern, it is important to understand why this could happen, and be sure to contact your veterinarian.