They are majestic and graceful, beautiful and humble, to the end loyal to the owner and well behaved. This is only the beginning of the description of the representatives of the cat breed which enjoys great popularity in many countries of the world. The green-eyed beauty with light blue hair, shining silver, surrounded by special attention from cat lovers.
In this matter the historical facts intertwined with legend. Russian blue refers to the ancient breeds. The first description of such cats are to be found in the annals of the XVII century. There is credible information that “Teddy” blue cats have been constant favorites in the Royal families. It is known that Peter had a special preference for this animal. But Catherine didn’t miss the chance to give a Russian blue cat high-ranking foreign guests as a sign of great respect.
In all likelihood, the original home of this cat breed is a Northern Russia — namely, Arkhangelsk. Unusual cats that lived on the Islands, was seen by British sailors, who were fascinated by the elegance of the animals and the beauty of their hair. In 1860, the representatives of the Russian blue was imported to the British Isles. This is evidenced by the materials in the English Chronicles of that time.
The development of the breed became heavily involved in England and Scandinavia. The name “Russian blue cat”, description of the breed, its standard was approved and officially registered in 1935. But because of the difficulties associated with a lack of individuals for mating, during the Second world war , these cats is on the brink of extinction. They were crossed with other breeds like the bluish colors, including Siamese, with the colour blue-point. This has led to the loss of the original traits of Russian blue cats.
In the 1960s, breeders in Europe have begun work to restore ancestral form of this breed. And in America was created by its kind, which began to differ by smaller size, more slender legs and bright color. These Pets became very popular among residents of America, Europe, and Japan.
In Russia also was active in this region, which already in early 70-ies of the Russian blue was returned to almost original form. And to the 90-th years of the breed is finally formed and begins to enjoy great success in our country.
The main characteristic
The main feature of the Russian blue cat is its coat is bluish with silvery sheen, soft and tender to the touch, resembling the plush. The undercoat is very thick and the length coincides with the guard hair, which creates a unique appearance effect. Cats of this breed have a strong muscular body. They are very delicate and plastic. And their bright green eyes expressed boundless devotion and feline intelligence.
Generally these animals are peaceful disposition and friendliness. They are quiet, unobtrusive and obedient. In its relation to host members of the cat breed are somewhat similar to dogs. They understand what is required from them, respond quickly to comments and try not to upset the supporters. Blue cats are always affectionate and grateful.
However, with strangers these cute creatures will not be so open and friendly. Enter to animal trust will not immediately. It will take some time, so the cat has consented to the communication. But friends with her, you can get a lot of positive emotions.
Russian blue cats are very playful. It is curious to observe the kids, who quickly and deftly do different tricks. Growing up, they did not abandon their fun.
The nature of these creatures are quite independent. They can easily cope with the solitude and long absence of the owner is transferred quite easily.
Representatives of blue breed can get along fine with other Pets — both cats and dogs. The main thing that the animals were not less friendly, and the owner when they meet each other showed tact and consideration.
These amazing creatures rarely “give voice”. Of course, the blue cat is happy to populace in the lap of the beloved master, but meow just won’t. This should be a good reason. In addition, nature has given these animals are very quiet voices that will not irritate and Wake at night.
It should be noted that the Russian blue — perfect hunters. They will help, if necessary, quickly solve the problem with the mice. And in their absence will take flies and butterflies.
Love of order and cleanliness — one of the features of these Pets. And the owner will have to keep in mind about it. The food on schedule, always perfectly clean tray — necessary conditions of this aristocratic breed. Otherwise, the cat will be unhappy.
Another important cat’s requirements is the observance of silence and peace. The animals don’t tolerate the noise and screaming. This feature is necessary to take into account everyone to purchase a blue cat. Especially if the family has small children.
For this breed is characterized by a lack of hostility, vindictiveness, and aggression. Its members are not vindictive. The most that they can do — is to delicately Express their dissatisfaction, if something had not like. Over time the owner will learn to understand your four-legged friend and in time to correct the mistakes.
The life expectancy of the Russian blue cats from 15 to 20 years. Although there are cases when some individuals overcame this barrier.
The accepted breed standard provides for the following distinctive features:
- torso elongated shape and medium size, strong and muscular, with graceful neck, long limbs and a slim, tapered on the tip of the tail;
- the skull is wedge-shaped, top flattened, medium size, in profile with a characteristic bulge above the eyes, with distinct “pads” for a moustache and a strong chin;
- ears large, slightly pointed at the top, set wide with slight forward tilt and a barely visible inner edge;
- eyes large, oval, bright green, widely planted;
- the nose is gray with a blue tint;
- paws are oval or round, with mauve pads;
- the coat is short, dense, elastic, with well developed undercoat;
- color uniform bluish-grey, with a delicate silvery sheen
Russian blue cat stands out for its simplicity and does not cause much trouble associated with its contents. But, considering some of the features of the breed, it is still necessary to observe some rules:
- Perfect purity. The animal will not eat from dirty dishes, to ignore newacademy tray. Cat toys should also be clean. This is a necessary condition of detention of the Russian blue.
- Regular combing. This procedure should be performed once a week using a dense rubber brush. Initially, the cat brushing against the grain, then in the direction of its growth. In the end you need to smooth the NAP of the cotton fabric. The result of the cat’s “fur” will always be well-groomed and shiny.
- Cleaning of the ears. For this purpose a special liquid, which is sold in pet store. Slightly moistened cotton swab should be very carefully wipe the inside surface of the ear. For each ear used a separate swab.
- “Manicure”. Regrown claws the cat can grind yourself if you have a flat scratching posts. If such a device is not, then the owner must either carefully trim them using kogterezki, or to seek help to the veterinarian.
- Bathing. Because cats are very clean themselves and know how to clean your skin, they do not need additional frequent washing. Bathe your pet immediately before an exhibition or during molting. For this purpose it is necessary to use a special toshimune.
First of all, you need to decide the type of food. Russian blue, as representatives of the other breeds, you can feed a fresh raw diet or a balanced cat food. Mix both types of feeding vets do not recommend. The first option in the menu should include:
- meat (beef, chicken);
- dairy products (milk, yogurt, cheese)
Currently, many pet lovers prefer to use the ready to feed, are presented in pet stores. But in this case you should select only high quality offers premium. These forages are completely balanced, and therefore eliminate the need for additional vitamins. Dry food should be about 75% of the daily intake, wet — 25%. And, of course, you need to constantly monitor the availability of fresh drinking water for the cat.
Frequency of feeding depends on the age of the animal. Usually adhere to the following schema:
- 3-month-old kittens are fed up to five times a day;
- from 4 months of age reduce the number of feedings to three times;
- from the age of 6 months to a year gradually move on three times a day feeding;
- after a year an adult cat or a cat fed twice a day
If a pet leads a sedentary lifestyle and is characterized by increased appetite, he is at risk to gain weight that can negatively affect his health. It is therefore advisable to opt for low-calorie foods (with the natural diet), feed your pet on schedule, not accustomed to snacking between meals.
In General, the representatives of the Russian blue breed differ by good health and absence of genetic disease. But, under the influence of certain negative factors, they are just like other cats, can get sick. According to statistics, more often affects the respiratory system and the digestive system. The most common diseases:
- The rhinotracheitis. An infectious disease that affects the mucous membranes. There are such symptoms as watery eyes, conjunctivitis, rhinitis. This disease is characterized by a long incubation period, which in itself is dangerous because it excludes the possibility of timely diagnosis and urgent actions. In addition, the carrier of the virus is a hidden source of infection of other individuals.
- Acute respiratory disease. Occurs when infection viral infection. As a result of this disease affects the nasal mucosa. Characteristically, the recovery of the animal in this case is accompanied by the acquisition of a strong immune system.
- Peritonitis. Disease of the gastrointestinal tract that can occur with improper feeding of the pet.
- Panleukopenia. Infectious disease, accompanied by severe dehydration of the animal.
- Leukemia. Is characterized by the disruption of the hemopoietic system.
- Rabies. Fatal infectious disease that affects the Central nervous system.
To avoid health problems a pet, it is necessary to strictly observe the rules of detention, care, feeding the animal, in time to make the necessary vaccinations, and when the first alarming symptoms, seek immediate veterinarian.
Russian blue is a unique breed of cat that combines the best qualities of these fauna. Majestic beauty combined with an almost perfect traits creates an image irresistible. If we add to this given by nature good health and simplicity in the content, it becomes clear that the success enjoyed by Russian blue cats worldwide.