One of the most serious diseases of cats is considered to be demodectic mange, called “subcutaneous mite.” To get one might a cat of any breed regardless of age.
The disease, in most cases, arises when dealing with a pet already infected individuals. A good owner should know about the basic symptoms of the disease and its treatment.
What forms of the disease exist
Demodicosis or infection of the subcutaneous mite is a parasitic disease. The disease occurs due to inflammatory processes, which arise from the waste products of mites.
In nature, it is called two types of mites:
- Demodex cati is a parasite that lives in the follicles of the wool, whose presence does not cause the cat discomfort and discomfort;
- Demodex gatoi is a parasite that lives under the skin of the animal, it feeds and multiplies at the expense of skin cells.
The first signs of subcutaneous mites in cats manifest in the ears and forehead, eyes and nose.
There are two forms of infection of cats:
- localized that affects a certain area of the animal’s body, but the symptoms are not present on the legs;
- generalized, which affects certain body parts of your pet and his paws.
Generalized form of infection with a tick in cats is considered to be more dangerous and difficult. When transferring this form of the disease most veterinarians recommend sterilization because there is a high probability of transmission of subcutaneous mite offspring.
The conditions of infection of the animal
In most cases, a cat becomes infected with mites after subcutaneous interactions with already infected animals.
Main ways demodicosis are:
- direct interaction of an infected animal with a healthy pet;
- the transfer of the animal parasites of man;
- transmission of parasites kittens from a cat;
- intrauterine infection by the parasite;
- the keeping animals in unsanitary conditions;
- infection when the immune system of the animal;
- contamination by inheritance, when a parent has previously suffered from a severe form of demodectic mange.
How to diagnose the disease
The signs of the disease do not occur immediately, but occur gradually. At the first sign of disease, it is recommended immediately consult a veterinarian.
Signals of subcutaneous infection mites are:
- redness of the skin;
- the appearance of rash in the form of small pustules, nodules, blackheads;
- the deterioration of the quality of the wool;
- fur loss around the eyes and the appearance of flaking in these areas;
- hair loss on certain parts of the body with typical flaking;
- pigmentation disorders of the skin;
- the presence of itching;
- the appearance of bleeding sores.
These symptoms are related to the fact that the tick is constantly in motion and makes tunnels under the skin of the cat, leaving the products of its own activity.
In generalized form, the disease may be accompanied by involvement of the viscera.
In this form there is a General deterioration of the animal:
- loss of appetite or refusal of food.
To confirm infection of subcutaneous mites in cats take a few scrapings from the affected skin. A sufficient number of swabs number is 4 to 5. Borrowed materials are studied under a microscope and given a positive or negative conclusion about the infection of a cat subcutaneous mites.
Mites in cats: treatment at home
Treatment of subcutaneous mite requires a long course of treatment and patience from the owner.
In most cases, the treatment process is as follows:
- destroyed the parasites on the surface of the skin and upper subcutaneous layers, by careful wiping with a soap solution or 1% solution of trichlorfon;
- is disinfection of the premises, tray and accessories cats;
- for minor injuries of the skin in the affected areas the hair should be shaved and treated with Vishnevsky ointment or a special drug;
- it is recommended to give your pet the medication against allergies, which will help to reduce itching;
- with severe lesions of the skin do the treatment with 2% solution of trichlorfon, which is repeated every 5 days.
Need a course of treatment, which consists in treating tick medication according to the instructions, ensuring a balanced diet and provide vitamins and minerals.
What tools are used
Infection of subdermal mites is quite severe disease, difficult to treat and require considerable time and patience on the part of the cat owner. Methods of treatment depend on the form of the disease and nature of treatment may differ slightly from breed. The treatment is comprehensive, as lose skin and hair loss are only the external manifestations of the disease and the parasites have a negative impact on the entire body of the animal.
For the treatment of localized forms of infection of subdermal mites, use special shampoos.
The most popular and effective:
- shampoo “Doctor” that contains benzoylperoxide;
- shampoo “Elite” containing benzoylperoxide.
Periodically the infected place needs to be cleaned with chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide, thus clearing the skin, from which scabs and dead tissue. After each treatment the skin should be well dry.
Additionally the treatment of the following medications:
- treatment with an aqueous solution of a “white” once in 2-3 days, but only in the absence of a prohibition of a veterinarian for its use;
- processing solutions Butox 50 or Amitraz;
- cutaneous to the skin of a cat in the area of the blades of the drug. or a Lawyer 3 to 4 applications at monthly intervals.
For the destruction of subcutaneous mite used a special tool:
- Neotomodon that is diluted according to the instructions and applied on the affected area;
- ready sprays such as Aerobactin, CIDEM, Perol, Ivermec;
- oily solutions such as Macadamized, Ecodes, AMI Ciples.
Must be used by immune-stimulating drugs:
In localized form subcutaneous mite disappearance of external symptoms does not mean full and final recovery of the pet. A month later, the localized form may give a remission. Each new outbreak of disease threatening a cat is more complex and difficult process.
To treat this form of topically applied the same drugs that in the treatment of localized forms.
For treatment under the supervision of a doctor injected one of the drugs:
- Dectomax in a dosage of 0.3 ml every 3.5 kg of body weight of the cat;
- Cydectin in a volume of 0.4 ml.
With the appearance of a secondary infection prescribes an antibiotic:
- Betamax .
In this case you must apply vitamin-mineral complexes and immunostimulatory drugs.
Folk remedy for subcutaneous mite
There are a number of folk remedies that can be used in the treatment of subcutaneous mite. The use of these funds should complement the main course of medical therapy.
The most popular the following recipes:
- a solution of chamomile to wipe the affected places or the organization of baths for bathing an animal, used for 3 days;
- use it to wipe the affected areas with tincture of calendula;
- use wash gels, shampoos which consists of birch tar;
- treatment areas of hair loss with kerosene, which is left on the affected areas for several days and then washed off with warm water.
The disease occurs through contact with sick animals, which has already been infected subcutaneous mites. If possible, is to exclude communication of a pet with outdoor roaming cats.
The main preventive measure is to continuously maintain the immunity of the pet.
This requires the implementation of complex of measures:
- provide timely vaccination;
- feeding sufficient for the pet.
- a balanced diet with enough vitamins and mineral vitamins.
Subcutaneous mite is safe for human disease, but this disease is very quickly infected cats. If the room contains several cats or cats, then when it detects the first signs of lesions of the subcutaneous mite from specific individuals, you should immediately isolate it from other Pets.
What you should know
- the sooner the owner of the cat will seek help, the more the chances of recovery of your pet and easier course of disease;
- even if the kitten never went outside, it does not preclude the possibility of infection from the mother;
- subcutaneous mite in cats can be a long time, but by reducing the immunity it will show its effect;
- cannot be used for the treatment of subcutaneous mite in cats remedies for the treatment of dogs, as these drugs can contain toxins safe for dogs but lethal to cats;
- after treatment with subcutaneous mite, it is necessary to apply preventive measures and to provide pet with proper nutrition, as drugs against subcutaneous mite can remain in the blood of the animal for 3 months, causing weakness and discomfort of the pet.
When handling the animal must wear gloves. Subcutaneous mite itself is not dangerous to humans, but that person can be a carrier of parasites and may accidentally place it in another location, thereby corrupting the occupants of the animals