To replace the product, first raise the hood. Find a place to install the reverse control lever with the gearbox reverse gear lever. Unscrew the nut of the bolt, remove the bolt, deflect the lever.
You will need to use the following materials:
Instructions for replacing the gear chain on a snowmobile Buran:
- Turn off a bolt with a cap, release the check point from oil, – merge it whole. Unscrew the half-carter nuts.
- Unscrew the bolt that secures the right half-starter to the sprocket shaft. Repair the right half-carter – for this, unscrew the lock nut at the thread tension bolt. Turn out a bolt to weaken a tension. Slowly remove the chain from the stars.
- Having cleaned the gearbox and checking its quality, you need to put on a new part and tighten it. Screw in the tension bolt to the end, after that, unscrew it 2 turns, lock it, fix it with a nut.
- Prepare the detachable element of the left half carter, degreasing it with nefras – apply sealant. Mount the seal ring onto the coated part. The right half-carter should be installed on the left studs. A good connection must be made through the connector.
- To check the movement of the gear, you need to deviate the gear lever on the elements of the main axis with its engagement with the gear. A bolt must be screwed into the shaft by putting a ring under the head. Screw the nuts onto the spiers and tighten them. Place a bolt plug in the upper half of the half-case, pre-laying the gasket.
- Check gearbox for leaks. Do this 6 hours (or more) after applying sealant to the surface of the connector. Cover the location with chalk solution. Fill kerosene through the checkpoint on the bulkhead. It is necessary to fill until until it flows out through the main support of the axis. About 5 minutes, you need to check that there is no fuel leak at the checkpoint. After that, you need to drain the kerosene.
It remains to connect the gear reversal shift lever to the control lever by tightening the bolt. Check how the reverse switches – this process should take place by turning its knob. If necessary, adjust the lever with a hairpin. Pour oil into the gearbox and lower the hood.
After replacing the chain, the question arises of its adjustment. This procedure is provided for by the maintenance regulations. To adjust the part, you need to unscrew the lock nut, which fixes the bolt, for several turns, and then screw the tensioner bolt to the end with your fingers, without using a wrench. The adjustment procedure should be carried out regularly after 5000 km of run every 2000 km.
The need to replace the chain appears during its break, which can occur after a violation of the tension adjustment. Damage often occurs by chance, so you need to be prepared for such a combination of circumstances. In advance, they buy a quality product with a high strength indicator, and carry it with them constantly to change in case of breakage. Before replacing the old chain in Buran with a new one, you must first familiarize yourself with the operation manual of the snowmobile.
Varieties of chains
Products for Buran vary in strength and shape:
- 70s model – rectangular type – 3180 kN / kgf;
- 80s model – figure eight – from 1700 to 2000 kN / kgf (improved).
It is noted that according to its tensile characteristics, the second-quality chain is the highest quality – this is the model of the 80s. But due to the design features, the product may damage the gear. Despite the lower strength of the obsolete sample, it does not “bite” in contrast to the new one.
In the table you can familiarize yourself with the varieties of products and their characteristics, which were obtained during tests performed on special equipment.
Chain Variety Table
|The type of cleavage||Breaking load, smallest (kN / kgf)|
|2-row pitch 12.7 mm||31,8/3180|
|new type two-row (Russia, Kirov)||20,0/2000|
|new type 2-row (Latvia, Daugavpils)||20,0/2000|
|double row Japanese made||16,9/1690|
|double row european series||16,9/1690|
|three-row Russian production||30,0/3000|
|three row european series||24,9/2490|
|three-row american series||23,7/2370|
Together with 2-row products from Russian and foreign manufacturers, many snowmobile owners began to purchase 3-line chain tuning kits for subsequent installation in the Buran gearbox. It is an innovation that allows the owner to feel more confident when riding a snowmobile.
Circuit Break Problems
Of course, the professional owners of Buran can repair, rivet this part on their own, without outside help in the garage, but they, like beginners, are advised to carry an extra chain with them in reserve, which is prepared for quick installation.
Attention! A dangling part can damage the whole shaft or cut off the teeth on the gear. It can also break the case of the gearbox – it cannot be repaired immediately on the spot.
The chain problem on the gearbox of a modern snowmobile is relevant, because it is not clear why it can break if the Buran is characterized by high strength of parts. Below are the main features of this problem, recommendations for choosing a quality model for a snowmobile.
It should be noted that the early (in the 1970s) box on the Buran was equipped with a two-row sleeve chain consisting of 70 links and a pitch of 12.7 mm. At first, this detail looked better than the followers, but after ten years, the developers began to make samples in increments of 9.5 mm. According to manufacturers, the next sample has become stronger than all the others, because produced on high precision equipment. The noise in it became less, the smoothness of the transition between different gears was improved. It became noticeable improvement in the quality of the entire site. Now the sample has been further improved, but its step has remained at the same level – 9.5 mm.
The above information is just a story that needs to be confirmed by calculations. This will help the owner understand which chain was high strength and high quality. As a result, the main characteristic for these products is the minimum load. As for the first type, with a pitch of 12.7 mm, it could break under a load of 3180 kN / kgf. The second type had a strength of 1700 kN / kgf, and the last – up to 2000 kN / kgf.
From this analysis it can be understood that the obsolete model of the 1970s was almost 2 times stronger than future options. In addition, snowmobiles confirm the quality, high strength of this product, and its effectiveness in the process.
The modern version of the Buran snowmobile, according to the source of motosneg, is equipped with chains of the 1980s, but there are still species with samples of the 70s. Visually, both samples can be distinguished. they have distinct side plates. In the products of the 1970s there is a rectangular plate, but in newer counterparts it has the appearance of a figure eight. The diameter of the sleeve is also different, and therefore it is impossible to replace one part with another.