Snowmobiles Polaris Waidtrak may need expert help. Owners are advised to know the details that need to be changed regularly.
The weak point of any snowmobile is the variator belt. Due to inaccurate operation, it wears out quickly, therefore replacement is required. Another common problem is problems with the fuel system. The engine may stop working at high speeds, the reason for this is poor-quality gasoline. This problem is usually corrected by cleaning the pump. But there are more difficult situations when you have to purchase a new product and put it instead of the previous one.
Before you start working with the engine and other parts of the snowmobile, carry out diagnostics using special equipment. In addition, a special tool may be required during replacement and repair. Therefore, self-repair of the device is not recommended.
Snowmobile Polaris Waidtrak requires timely repair and careful maintenance. Cleaning is required before and after the season. Each area should be washed using a special solution. Carefully clean surfaces adjacent to the power unit. Sensitive to high humidity places should be covered with polyethylene. After washing, apply special grease or spray to metal elements.
Before driving, check the drive belt and change it if necessary. And every 800 km, adjust the chain tension from the gearbox. The snowmobile is not used in the summer, so it must be prepared for storage in the summer, after dismantling, filling the lubricant into the engine, weakening the tracks. This is basic care that can help prevent wear and tear and reduce the frequency of repairs.
Polaris Waidtrak LH meets the main international standards, but this does not guarantee trouble-free operation of the equipment if the owner does not conduct regular diagnostics of the snowmobile. To ensure the safe use of the vehicle, the requirements specified in the operating and maintenance instructions must be taken into account.
How to repair a Polaris WideTrak snowmobile with your own hands (model LX 500)
Repairing equipment is recommended by an authorized dealer, as Polaris WT has its own characteristics, which a specialist knows better about. But you can repair some elements of the snowmobile by yourself, given all the recommendations. The maintenance schedule requires regular maintenance, inspections prescribed by the management, so all work should be recorded in the journal.
Carry out maintenance and repairs on the Polaris Waidtrak 500 snowmobile after reaching a certain distance, continue to regularly perform maintenance according to the instructions. Do-it-yourself repairs to the Polaris Waidtrack 500 LH snowmobile must be performed in accordance with the maintenance schedule. Most of the elements of the device are repaired by overcoming a certain mileage.
Lubricating snowmobile components
|Element||Regularity of repair (mileage in km)||How to repair|
|Suspension and steering grease||800-1600||Apply Polaris Premium grease to the steering wheel support bracket, lubricate the lower part of the steering column, steering rod, hinges: left and right, support hinges.|
|Rear suspension||1600||Apply the product on the suspension axle by lifting the back of the equipment.|
|Axle bearings||1600||The apparatus may include a fitting for lubricating the bearing. Additional lubrication for the entire period of operation is not needed.|
|Drive shaft bearing||800-1600||Insert grease into the fitting on the body of the speedometer sensor until it protrudes into the seal in the tunnel (two presses of the grease gun).|
|Gas control cable||800-1600||Lubricate the cable with grease or oil. With the motor turned off, turn the steering wheel to the left and generously lubricate with a tool.|
|Enrichment cable||800-1600||Lubricate the stem with the drive cables with grease. Before turning off the power unit, turn on the enrichment to remove water from the stem area and prevent it from freezing.|
|Couplings||800-1600||Lubricate the couplings of the two axles – the drive axle and the intermediate axle.|
After the first 800 km of run, then every 1600 km change the oil in the chain gearbox, taking into account the intervals that are in the table of the maintenance schedule of Polaris Vaitrak. To check the oil level, stop the snowmobile on level ground. The level should be between the safe marks on the probe – no need to overfill. It is important to clean the magnetic plug after 800 km and each time you check and change the oil.
Attention! Damage may occur when mixing different types of oils that are not recommended by the manufacturer. Use only genuine Polaris products for the Polaris WT LX.
How to remove the gearbox and repair on a snowmobile Polaris Waidtrak
Boxes (PPC) Polaris WT LX are strong enough, and rarely need repair.
But in the last generation of the Polaris snowmobile, low-quality details appeared that should be changed:
- Intermediate couplings of poor quality
- Cheap bearings. The manufacturer began to limit the resource of the part, mounting low-quality parts.
With the positive air temperature outside, the presence of a partner, enough space in the garage and keys to remove the gearbox is easy.
To do this, do the following:
- Hang out the track and loosen it as much as possible.
- Remove the side grill on the right side of the boat opposite the checkpoint. there are two screws for a special TORKS key.
- Remove the plug located slightly higher and to the left of the grille on the molding, which is on both sides, turning into a bumper. Unscrew the bolt.
- Squeeze the right side of the boat from the box slightly.
- Disassemble the muffler.
- Unscrew the caliper (2 turnkey bolts TORKS 45-50 size).
- Take out the pads.
- Remove the lower cooling pipe from the caliper – it should be moved away so that it does not interfere with the process.
- Remove the circlip from the brake axle and the brake disc (for this the boat had to be unscrewed to smoothly remove the disc).
- Unscrew the three nuts that secure the gearbox.
- Loosen the screw on the upper axle coupling.
- Remove the bolt on the gearshift drive (carefully, there is a key there).
- Take out the rear speed sensor.
- Pull gearbox off two axles.
The last step should be performed more carefully, as up to 2 U-shaped washers can stand in the box device, which regulate the gearbox alignment. If they are there, they stand on 1-3 bolts in the middle between the box and the tunnel to which the box is attached. When they are pulled together they can fall out – do not lose them. It is better to watch with a lamp where the washers are located.
Now consider the repair procedure for this unit. The point is to modernize the upper coupling (weld the head to 18 with 6 faces) and the primary axis of the gearbox (should be machined under the hexagon).
Do the following:
- Connect the input shaft with a small chain to the brake axle.
- Mount the gearshift mechanism. Insert all the assembled parts into the housing, after having put on a large chain on the main gear and the primary axis.
- Install the gear package on the seats in the housing.
Put the outer cover of the box and tighten the bolts. When assembling the unit, seal the joints of the device parts with sealant.
A preliminary visual review of the variator belt is necessary. Then you will need adjustment, tightening of weak bolts, nuts, cleaning the belt from dirt.
The spacing between the pulley lines is 273 ± 1 mm. The lines themselves should be parallel to each other. It is not recommended to disassemble the engine seats under the power unit without understanding the cause of the malfunction. This may disrupt the gap between the pulley shafts. And returning them to their previous position can be difficult.
If the dismantling work is inevitable, it is recommended to consider the dimensions (see Figure 1). Spare part size 14 ± 0.5 mm. When replacing a CVT belt with a new product, it is important to pay attention to the dimensions of the ditch width given by the manufacturer 33.4 mm, diameter 260 mm. If the belt is not suitable for use, you need to put a new one. To do this, it is recommended to reduce the size of the adjustment bolt 15, removing one washer from each bolt. When adjusting the variator belt (RV), it is necessary to take into account its location – at the 1st level with the outer strip of discs. In this case, the protrusion is possible no more than 1.5 mm. After adjustment, lock in position with lock nuts.
Inspect the PB for defects, delaminations, and black bars. If you find them, then change the belt.
How to remove the old PB and put a new one:
- Pull out the protective cover by removing the locking elements.
- Install a new element in the opposite direction.
- Separate the disks of the head pulley by turning and squeezing the movable disk (PD) from the stationary (ND).
- Throw through the end face of the PB, which is removed from the pulley stream.
When removing the belt, consider the length between the PD and ND. To ensure the wear resistance of the new product, it is not necessary to turn it with the marking outwards. Lubricate the part: to do this, first remove the device by folding the PD and the cover. Next, lubricate the axle under the sleeve and the surface of the cam coupling half – put the part in its original place. It is forbidden to lubricate the working surfaces of the pulleys.
Carry out maintenance of the gearbox: after repairing the transmission, it is important to monitor and measure the oil level with a dipstick. The normal oil level is centered between the control mark and the end of the dipstick.
Change the oil in this order: unscrew the drain bolt, pour out the old oil, tighten the bolt. Unscrew the plug located at the top of the gearbox, fill the tank with fresh oil and screw the plug back. The volume of liquid filled should be 0.5 liters.
If there is noise in the gearbox, jerks at the start, problems with switching speeds, then with increased load, breakage is possible. Such repairs will be expensive, with timely diagnosis, adjustment of the gearbox is required, which will help to avoid more dangerous problems with the transmission or chassis.
When the gearbox carries an increased load for a long time, this will inevitably lead to its breakdowns, and such repairs will cost more. Therefore, timely diagnosis, it is an opportunity to adjust the operation of the gearbox and avoid dangerous problems with the 2 important elements of technology – transmission or chassis.
Symptoms of a gearbox malfunction:
- loss of tightness;
- reverse failures;
- clutch malfunction;
- lack or excess of oil;
- gear engagement failures.
Often, gearbox repair is required due to a malfunction of the pinion gear (tooth wear). This feature entails jamming of the system element, damage to the oil seal, bearing, bushings.
It is important to consider the quality of the lubricants. Polaris is often used in poor conditions, this causes damage (breakdowns, cracks) to the gear housing.
For accurate determination of problems in the gearbox and transmission unit, contact the service specialists for diagnostics.
Depending on the type of problem, there are various methods for solving it. If the engine is unstable during a change in speed or load mode, a possible cause may be a jamming of the drive pulley of the variator. To solve the problem, disassemble the drive pulley of the variator and check for damage and correct operation of the weights.
Clean and polish the surface of the axle bush. If there are problems with the driven pulley, then change the rollers, their guides. Check the clearance in the bushings of the movable pulleys and replace if damaged.
Other problems and methods for solving them:
- Sharp start of the variator. A possible reason may be a very narrow or worn drive belt – in this case, you need to replace it. Another reason for abrupt start is the large gap between the belt and the pulley.
- Scroll drive belt. It is possible that the belt is not suitable for this model – replace it. The motor mount bracket may be loosened – check, repair, and replace it.
- The device does not go. If the variator sticks, it means that the belt is twisted, the spring is broken, the weights stick together, and there is not enough lubrication. If the track is jammed, clear it of ice.
- Weak engine power at low speeds. It is possible that the drive belt is worn, the reaction stop is loosened. Adjust these details.
- The power unit does not start. There is a wiring fault. Contact the service.
- The crankshaft does not rotate. Reasons: motor jammed, hydrostatic lock. In the case of the power unit, it is possible poor-quality lubrication, lack of fuel, breakdown of elements, insufficient cooling. With hydrostatic locking, fuel can enter the crankcase during parking or transportation. Contact the service.
If pops in the carburetor are observed, then there may be problems in the spark plugs, carburetor. Change the spark plug, remove dirt and ice in the fuel system.
Repair parts price
Snowmobiles Polaris Waidtrak LH 500 cost from 40 to 300 and more than thousand rubles, depending on the condition of the device and the region of purchase. The cost of spare parts for repairs is also individual and depends on the above criteria.
On average, the prices of spare parts for Polaris Waidtrak LH are as follows (indicated in rubles):
- graphite slip – 1730;
- a set of gaskets and seals – 4700;
- spark plug – 200;
- CVT belt – 5400;
- speedometer – 19600;
- button – 627 rubles;
- carburetor – 29310;
- console – 7190;
- cylinder – 45370;
- silencer – 23030;
- Starter – 16050;
- fuel pump – 6710;
- brake disk – 12350;
- caterpillar – 33580.
Some popular parts are listed. For details, contact your authorized dealer.