Subject to the recommendations and operating instructions provided in the User Guide, regular inspection of the official manufacturer will ensure continued operation of the snowmobile. During the occurrence of malfunctions, the instruction will help in a short time to eliminate the breakdown that has occurred.
To find out what causes the reverse gear on a snowmobile, the reverse gear can fly out, make a diagnosis, and also see the causes of breakdowns:
- untimely replacement of oil or filter element;
- use of low-quality oil;
- wrong driving style (aggressive);
- long driving at maximum speed;
- sharp braking.
An additional reason is the lack of structural components (defects), natural wear, which manifests itself after 15,000 km.
Frequent signs of gearbox malfunction, variator transmission on a Lynx snowmobile
- lack of reverse gear and sounds in the gearbox.
- knocks at the checkpoint.
- difficult switching of back and forward speeds.
- poor speed dial.
- smooth downshift.
To solve the problems, it is important to take the measures that the manufacturer prescribed in the instructions, as well as follow the recommendations of the snowmobile, which faced the same breakdown, but successfully eliminated them.
|Failure symptoms||Causes and solutions|
|Speed is gaining slowly relatively recently under the same operating conditions. Especially noticeable after stopping||A) Check the variator belt. Often the wear of this part is the cause of malfunctioning equipment. Replace the belt if its width is 3 mm less than the new.|
B) Look at the length between the pulley diameters and inspect the deflection angle of the variator belt. If there is a large bend or the length between the pulleys is small, then contact the manufacturer (instructions).
|C) View the driven disk of the driven pulley. If the disk is broken, it must be changed to a new one.|
D) Check spring tension.
|Unable to accelerate under normal conditions to maximum speed at maximum speed||A) Inspect the snowmobile for paragraph one of the table.|
B) Inspect and adjust the tension of the driven pulley.
|CVT roughly downshifts under the same operating conditions||A) Adjust the spring tension of the follower. If the tension is weak, then there is a chance of breakage.|
B) Inspect the centrifugal regulator bushings. If there is contamination, but the condition is normal, then clean the bushings. If they wear, replace.
|B) Inspect the play on the drive pulley disk. Replace disc hubs if the backlash is not working properly.|
What to do if the reverse speed crunches or the reverse gear is missing
If there is no repair experience, it is better to contact a specialist who will find out exactly why the Lynx 500 has lost the reverse gear, and will make the repair. But if you want and have the time, you can repair the equipment yourself, following the instructions from the manufacturer.
If reverse gear has disappeared, then a possible cause of this malfunction could be wear on the limiter and weak chain tension. To solve the problem, check the latter and tighten, if necessary. If there is a knock in the gearbox, then tighten the chain. If adjustment is not possible, replace it.
- Unscrew the locknut of position 32 of the adjustment bolt to position 33 in the chain.
- Wrap an adjusting bolt by force of fingers. As soon as it is difficult to turn the bolt by hand, you need to stop and unscrew the bolt in the direction back – the drive chain will be tensioned normally.
- Adjust the gap so that it is no more than 0.1-0.3, in case of a problem with the stop, using the adjusting bolt. Replace with strong wear.
Attention! If “crackling” occurs or crunches when reverse gear is engaged, adjust the chain tension using the tensioner and position limiter 35. When a “squeal” appears, adjust the length of the pin of the lever used to reverse gear.
Perform in the following sequence:
- remove the engine muffler;
- separate the thrust of the reversing lever from the reverse gear control;
- bend the counter washer under the bolt of the axis located in the center;
- unscrew a bolt;
- unscrew 4 nuts of installation of a cover;
- remove the muffler mounting bracket;
- open the drain plug, drain the oil into the nose of the snowmobile;
- remove the cover by pulling it and lifting it so that the fork opens;
- thrust ring;
- drain the oil through the opening of the sock into the container;
- unscrew the bolt of the tension structure completely and retract the tensioner;
- turn the bolt of the limiter adjustment as far as it will go;
- loosen two sprockets – upper and lower, having previously bent the mustache on the counter washers;
- remove the adjustment washers, the gear of the reverse device from the central part,
- a metal flat disk, an elastic steel strip bent by a spiral, as well as a ring, a gear wheel, including a spline metal tube that reduces friction at the place of support of the lower shaft;
- pull out the top star (smaller), chain and the middle star (small);
- remove the lower star (small) with the installed flange, fingers and elastic steel strips bent by a spiral;
- pull out the metal tubes used to reduce friction at the point of support of the shaft and the metal flat disk of the upper bearing;
- release the bearing.
If there is a lack of experience, it is recommended to consult a specialist to dismantle the box.
Caring for the gearbox consists of adjusting the chain tension, the limiter clearance, checking the oil level and changing it regularly.
Chain Limiter Bolt Adjustment:
- with the cover removed in position 2, make a clearance;
- loosen the lock nut, put the dipstick, tighten the bolt, tighten the lock nut tightly;
With the cover mounted, unscrew the lock nut, then tighten the bolt with the force of your fingers, unscrew it a quarter of a turn. Holding the bolt with a wrench, tighten the locknut.
Gearbox oil change:
- release the snowmobile to the right at an angle;
- turn the cork to position 26;
- drain the oil through the hole in the sock into the vessel;
- screw the cork;
- add 300 ml of new oil through the filler plug.
Check the oil level in the gearbox every thousand kilometers.
Additional repairs and price of spare parts
After consulting a specialist and diagnosing a Lynx snowmobile, you may need to repair such parts:
- leading shaft Lynx prefabricated – 8500 p.
- variator – 4800 r.
- shift lever fork – 550 r.
- the sleeve of the variator, chain tensioner and gearbox – 1900 p.;
- basic sleeve – 1100 r .;
- transmission drive – 1950 r .;
- cone and variator cover – 4000 r .;
- gearbox finger – 340 rubles.
In order to prevent high repair costs, timely diagnose the snowmobile and replace the necessary parts.