In the autumn, fishing for pike is very diverse, reducing the daily temperature of the air and water encourages the predator to more active feeding. She scouring the pond in search of food and swallows virtually any bait offered.
But not everyone likes this kind of active rest ; catching pike in the live bait is also popular . It often happens that such a gear will bring a decent trophy.
Fishing of this type should be carried out with the appropriate gear, they must be able to properly assemble. But before that, it is advisable to find out which specimens of fish should be counted on during this period.
Float gear is the most simple and effective, with its help you can go on a peaceful fish, and on a predator. The formation of the gear is carried out, starting from what kind of trophy they want to get, for different inhabitants of the reservoir it will be different. Successful pike fishing on live bait in the fall involves the use of such components for rigging:
|component gear||required characteristics|
|rod||You can use any form up to 5 m long, it is better to choose from stronger options|
|only inertia-free options with well-adjusted friction and sufficient power indicators|
|the foundation||preference is given to the cord, the thickness is chosen from 0.14-0.20 mm, the line is thicker from 0.25 mm to 0.45 mm|
|leash||steel or Kevlar with good bursting performance, but at the same time soft, so as not to jam the live bait|
|hook||depending on the size of live bait and features of the reservoir, single hooks, twins and tees of good quality are used|
Important! It is necessary to use a leash; without it, the pike can easily cut the basis of the fishing line. The length of the leash is chosen medium, not less than 20 cm and with a slightly smaller breaking load than the base.
spend catching the water area both from the shore and from the watercraft, this tackle is considered universal in this regard.
In the fall, pike are successfully caught on live bait and with the help of a pike or a mug, this tackle can be placed on a pond only if there is a watercraft. It has few components, consists of:
- flat foam reel;
- 10-20 m fishing line with a diameter of up to 0.6 mm;
- steel lead 20-25 cm long;
- sinkers, whose weight depends on livelihood;
- lock beads;
- hooks for bait.
Cord for snap circles do not use, it does not make sense. It is better to take a line from inexpensive options.
This method allows you to catch a large water area, the circles can be placed in close proximity to reeds, bushes, branches, koryag, where the pike is usually waiting for prey.
Tip! Before using homemade foam circles it is necessary to paint one of the parties in a bright color, usually red or carrot. Next, the tackle is set so that when biting, the painted part is above, and it will be clear from where the pike liked the bait.
Other tackles for live bait are less suitable, as practice shows, it is with these you can catch trophy specimens of pike .
Choosing a place
Fishing for pike on live bait in the autumn is planned much earlier, since the beginning of summer a real angler begins to look closely at ponds and lakes, river pools and backwaters. The ichthyofauna of the chosen place is thoroughly studied, the “density” of the population is determined with each visit to the reservoir.
The best places in which fishing will definitely be successful have such characteristics:
- small lakes and ponds, the depth of which will be no more than 2 m;
- backwaters and pools with minimal flow, with thick reeds near the shore and vegetation in the water.
Immediately it is worth crossing out potential fishing spots, where there is a lot of perch and running water, in the autumn period this particular resident of the reservoir will not allow the pike to access the bait.
Particular attention should be paid to the “gill holders” of a small size and a depth of up to 1.5 m. If in spring and summer there will be a variety of fish splashing, then by the fall, there will be no one left except for the hungry pike.
Each collected gear will not work if used without live bait. A small fish will be an excellent bait for toothy predators in the autumn, the main thing is that it remains active longer.
The ideal option would be to catch a fish in the same pond, in which it is planned to catch pike for live bait. For the predator, it will be the usual food, which she feasts every day. Depending on the reservoir as bait can be:
- high water;
It is better not to use ruffles for such purposes, sharp fins can severely hurt both the fisherman himself and scare off the predator.
Important! You should not use lumpy fish or dead live bait, you just won’t be able to interest the pike with such a “delicacy”, but scare it off easily.
Live bait fish
One of the most important elements in catching pike with this method is properly planted live bait. You can equip an active fish with several hooks:
- the most common is a hook over the dorsal fin;
- a double or a tee is passed through the gills; for this purpose, a hook without a leash is immediately placed in the fish, and only then is fastened;
- Equipping through both lips and nostrils will be equally effective.
Fishermen with experience recommend using a snap with a single hook for fishing in still water, but to use tees and twins on the course.
It doesn’t matter which way of fishing for pike on live bait was chosen in the autumn, the technique remains the same: casting, biting, pause, cutting, vyvazhivanie. Such a sequence should always be, otherwise the pike will just spit out the bait or cut off the hook and leash on the base. But there are some nuances that can confuse even an experienced angler, they should be studied in more detail:
- Usually, when fishing on a float tackle, the pike immediately grabs the bait and takes it some distance away. Waiting for 8-10 seconds, carry out cutting and start to catch the catch.
- It happens that the capture of live bait happens differently, the float will start, then disappear for a few seconds under water, then reappear. You should not carry out the cutting at this moment, it is necessary to sustain a pause up to a minute.
- The float can sway from side to side for 30-60 seconds. At such moments, the angler, too, must wait, the pike is played with live bait, turns him around with his face to swallow better. As soon as the float begins to slowly move in any direction, it is immediately worth making a serif.
An important point when fishing on float gear is the balance and the complete lack of haste. Only having managed to withstand all the necessary pauses, everyone will have a trophy.
It is easier to catch mugs, in this method, the main thing is to position the live bait correctly, for this purpose it is set at a height of 15-20 cm from the bottom, fix the fishing line in the slot on the foam plastic and wait for a coup.
Features of fishing on live bait in the fall
It is possible to use live bait to catch pike in spring and autumn, in summer this kind of tackle will not work very well. From catching immediately after the disappearance of ice, the autumn will have many differences and features:
- The size of live bait: in spring they use a very small fish, autumn fishing will require more specimens.
- The quality of the components used for equipment: in the autumn, you need to take more reliable cords, fishing lines, leashes.
- Accordingly, the bait and hooks are used larger.
- In the autumn, additional live bait can be equipped with a triple hook in the tail section.
Tip! It is not necessary to use a very large live bait, it can scare away even a large specimen of a predator.
Now it became clear how to catch a pike on live bait correctly, the process is quite fascinating and productive. The main thing is that the tackle does not let you down, and the angler’s self-control has not failed.