Many people think about the question: what is a donkey from the donkey why are they so called? Let’s try to figure it out.
Some claim that the donkey and the donkey is one and the same animal. But are they right?
The word “ass” appeared a long time ago, when there was a familiarity between the human being and small animals. It somewhat resembles a horse. He also has hooves and it also produces certain sounds.
The difference between an ass from a donkey
The donkey is an animal with hooves, like a horse. Many scientists say that this animal is a descendant of the Somali ancestors. And that animal was a good helper to humans.
That is donkey and donkey is one and the same animal. It just has several names, like many other rare animals. The donkey and the donkey are different from each other only habitat.
Let’s learn about this interesting animal more.
Donkey, its habitat and characteristics
Donkey is a small animal. It belongs to the genus of the horses. But it also has contrast – it’s his big head and long ears.
Color burros can be different: grey, brown, black, white. There are more than ten breeds of domestic donkeys that were derived by crossing with other similar animals.
The types of domestic donkeys or mules:
- Mammoth – is the largest species. His height is 160 centimeters. Coat color can be red or grey. For the first time this breed was developed in the United States of America.
- Catalan is the fastest type of donkey that has been bred in Spain. The size of it is the same as mammoth. The height of the donkey reaches 150 centimeters. On the face, legs and belly are bright spots. This breed is used to the donkey races.
- Poitou (patoski) is a very rare breed of donkeys. She appeared in the French region of Poitou. The animal of this breed is different from other donkeys of his long hair. Its length is ten centimeters. The growth of this type does not exceed 150 inches. At the moment they are bred as a decorative rock.
- Miniature is a view of the little donkey. Its height does not exceed ninety centimeters. Miniature breed was developed in Italy. This breed is used for exhibitions.
The donkey is a domestic donkey. He appeared a very long time as an assistant and used to work in agriculture.
Many scientists argue that the domestic burros or donkeys appeared much earlier than domestic horses. For the first time they began to be used in Egypt and other African countries.
Wild burros have boyish good looks and live in herds. In every herd there are more than a thousand head. Live donkeys in arid countries, because their hooves are adapted to this climate and dry roads. And wet and dirty ground they are contraindicated because their hooves begin to crack and an inflammation occurs.
Advantages and disadvantages of a donkey
- The donkey is a hardworking animal. It can work without rest and water up to ten hours.
- It is a strong animal. His powerful body is able to carry loads more than their body and weight.
- In ancient times, donkeys are still kept for meat, milk and skins. The milk is drank and used in cosmetics, and the skin did parchment and covered the drums.
- Donkeys are very stubborn animals and they have developed the instinct of self-preservation. If a donkey is tired, he will not work until until the rest. In this he differs from other animals.
Nutrition and life expectancy
The donkey needs the same care as a horse. But he eats much less than a horse, and not so demanding to clean. It can feed hay, straw, barley, grain, oats, and even spines. That is, the content does not need to spend a lot.
Donkeys that live in the wild, they eat vegetation: grasses, leaves. Because they live in countries with arid climate, they can live without water for a long time.
With the onset of spring donkeys mating season begins. The donkey gives birth to only one cub and feeds him her milk for six months. Carrying a baby takes between twelve to fourteen months. Immediately after birth, the baby already can stand up on his weak and thin legs. In ten to twelve months, he became independent.
How many donkeys? The life expectancy of domestic donkeys does not exceed thirty-five years, and it is in good care. Wild Asses are much smaller. Their life expectancy is from ten to twenty-five years.
At the moment, wild donkeys have very little. In this regard, they were listed in the Red book. And to increase the number of donkeys are cultivated in special nurseries and zoos.
Here we are with you and found out what’s the difference between donkey ass. And found out that the donkey from the donkey is no different, except that habitat. The donkey lives in the wild, arid climate. A donkey is the same donkey, but a home that lives with people and helps them in agriculture. And in return, receives food and care.