Cockatiels win the hearts from his exotic appearance and small size. Like any pet parrot korella needs special care, feeding, and contents and it is necessary to know for any owner. Compliance with all of the features – and the parrot will enjoy its bright crest and mischievous nature.
Content features Corell
Before you get a new pet, you should decide if it is suitable for You and Your family. Nothing peculiar character of this species for some will be a plus, but others will annoy you.
Be sure to consider this before the purchase of the cockatiels, not to create neither myself nor the bird additional stress.
1. Cockatiels are noisy and active. If You do not know, talking parrot Corella or not, then rest assured that with the proper training how. No, they will not continually broadcast, but be prepared for a morning and evening singing a lullaby. Not all people tolerate sharp sounds at this time of day.
2. They love the attention of the family and do not tolerate long periods of loneliness. If You have a very a tight schedule and You are not at home most of the time, this pet is not for You. Multiple birds need less attention, but their level of socialization will decrease significantly.
3. Of the nymph will be quite a lot of garbage. The bird has a house and she will be there to direct their orders, and all unnecessary to throw outside of the cage. Of course, it will drop feathers and I fly away. During free walking Corella could find something and bite it.
4. Buying poultry is not the last monetary investment. She will need another and a cell with all the components, the regular purchase of food, special toys and broken things in the cage, periodic checkups at the vet and even treatment. Corella will be a full member of the family and will take the necessary care of it in all aspects.
5. Still need to know how many lives Corella at home. With a good standard of living, this pet lives for over 20 years and all these years he will be in need of care! Understand that this is not a toy for a few years, the parrot will be with You for a really long time. Corella may become a witness, as You graduate from training, you find your soul mate and already joint the kids finish school.
If none of those are deal breakers, then soon You will have a wonderful, very funny and incredibly loyal pet. He will be happy to welcome you, to Wake up in the morning and sit on your finger. It remains only to prepare his future home.
What are cockatiels
Natural color of these parrots is represented by a gray body, yellow head and bright orange cheeks. In the course of artificial breeding, were bred for a new, brighter colors.
Now the breeders can meet Corell with the colors:
- White. There are two types: just and albino white. Differences in eye color. The albinos eyes are red, and white – black. Let’s say a light creamy tint of the feathers. The head and crest are yellow.
- White-winged. This color is typical white primaries, and the stored sulfur.
- Light gray. A bit lighter than the usual grey individuals. Yellow head and crest are preserved.
- Pearl gray. In the coloration pen has uneven pigmentation. The edge of the saturated gray color, and the middle pen – white. It is possible to meet individuals who have brown instead of white will tint or yellow. Such an unusual coloration for a lifetime only keep females. Males moult to change color.
- Cinnamon. The main tail can have different shades of brown.
- Dark yellow. In this case, the color varies from light cream to deep yellow flowers.
- Places. This color means yellow body color with white spots on the wings. Cheeks – bright orange.
- Black wing. The representatives of this color back and tail much darker than the main gray body. The wings are also darker, and has white spots.
- Black. All Corella is a deep, dark gray. The breast has an almost black color.Yu on the wings there are bright spots. Cheeks are dark orange, there may be a few black feathers.The most common colors are: gray and places
- Sheki or spotted. The main flavor of these representatives – grey. On the wings of many white spots. The head is white, the tail should be yellow and white. I spotted Corell is a subspecies of the harlequin. These birds remain only gray wings, head and the tuft yellow, the main part of the feathers white.
By mixing different colors of cockatiels, often produce unusual and original colors. But most are still grey. This coloring is considered natural. The brightest colors are obtained by crossing the spotted representatives from other media pigments.
What should be in a cage of cockatiels for feeding and caring for them
Care corellas at home largely depends on its cells. It should be of sufficient size. Choose the cage not less than 60 centimeters in height and 50 in width. It is desirable that the rods were positioned horizontally or had a couple of horizontal bars bird loves to climb, and vertical it will be not convenient. The size of the gap between the bars is recommended to 1.9 cm, and the rod needs to be steel. Lead and zinc rods are ruining the health of all birds due to secreted toxins.
The conditions of detention Corell additionally require special equipment.
Must be present:
- Polacca and 2 feeders. One of them will be for grain dry mix and one for fresh food and wet food;
- A few perches;
- Nest or home;
- Special toys. This may be ropes, rope, plastic or wooden stairs, special balls and a mirror.
Additionally, you can install a special screen cage to feed does not spill outside of the cage when the nymph will eat. It is useful to have in the Arsenal and special cleaning products. With them cleaning the cage much easier, and, additionally, such tools are also good disinfectants.
Choosing a pet
When we have a home for cockatiels, you can choose a bird. Where to choose – a personal preference. Safer to contact breeders who breed this particular species of birds. They can learn all the nuances of content at home, to clarify that the bird does not like to make a balanced diet and look at the parents. Moreover, it does not have to be tormented by the question of how to determine the sex of your nymphs. Breeder exact answer to this question, because from his own experience knows how to care for Corelli at home.
Explicit sexual characteristics are manifested at Corell with 3.5 months, but it is definitely possible to say only after a year. How to distinguish the parrot Carell males from females for a photo is possible. The male is usually brighter in color females. Differences also exist in the tuft. The female has a crest wider and shorter, and the boy’s feathers will be longer, the crest already. Differences exist in behavior. Males are more active, more sociable and love to sing. Girls are not so talkative. Even foot males and females differently. Boys, when you sit, high rise on the legs, but the girls tummy is almost on the same level with the legs.
The best age Corell to move to a new family – 3-3.5 months. The Chicks are old enough to detach from parents, and young enough to go through socialization with a new family. To know the approximate age it is possible independently. The peculiarity of each period of growth is reflected in the color of plumage, color, eyes, legs, the folds on the legs and the smoothness of the beak.
Young cockatiels are a colour somewhat brighter and lighter, adult – richer and darker. Crest youths not as thick as in Mature individuals. The eyes of the young are almost black, but with age, the iris lighter. The beak and legs of young birds are pinkish-gray, and the older the nymph, the less pink and more grey appears on the beak and feet. On age says and smoothness of the beak. In very young birds it is smooth, but the years of life make it rough.
You should also pay attention to:
- The quality of the plumage. To buy chick molting is not necessary, because the body now and the stress and moving can be a serious health risk. The first molt they have six months to 8 months. The pen should be one to one, no bald spots and lipseste.
- Eyes. They should be round, in any case, not narrowed. They should not be discharge or peeling. Note the gleam in his eyes.
- The condition of the beak. It must not be deformed and traumatized, not to have any growths. The nostrils should be dry and without any discharge.
- Legs. On the feet of the nymphs 4 finger. 2 “looking” forward and 2 back. The claws should be smooth and neat.
- Cloaca. It should be clean as the tail. The remnants of feces in the cloaca and the tail – a clear signal that Corella is unhealthy.
In any case, the choice of pet must be self-reliant because You choose other for a very long time. To transport the parrot is better in a special carry for birds. When the nymph is at home, carefully transplant it into the main cage and a while does not hurt.
Adapting to a new place
The place should be fully prepared for the time of settlement. It is not necessary to pull hands Corell of carrying to her new home. Organize corridor simply by opening the door and carrying cages and setting them opposite each other. The bird itself must go from one place to another.
To adjust to a new home, need time. It will take at least a day and may be delayed for a week. The owner in any case should not at this time disturb the parrot. New environment and so afraid of an animal, and too much attention will only aggravate stress cockatiels. After adaptation to the place, you can make contact with the pet.
Usually, the domestication does not require anything special and complex skills. If the bird was purchased from a breeder, she was originally socialized. Individuals from pet stores can be a little less tuned on the person, but it is also done in a couple of weeks.
At first, just go near the cage of the nymphs for 20-30 minutes a day and talk to her. Every day increase the time of intercourse. If a negative reaction is not observed and the bird comes to You, treat through the cage of her delicacy. After a few days open the cage and close to pass the sweets to the nymph became interested and came to take it. Then place treat on open hand to the bird climbed You. When Corella will sit on the hand without fear, turn your hand so that it was convenient to sit on your finger, and pull the parrot out of the cage. So you can start to train your parrot.
Now pet you can pet and “chuhat”. Can not worry, I love parrots Corella. They love affection, attention and snacks. Corella parrot is not particularly demanding on the care, maintenance and feeding. But it is very demanding to communicate with his new family. You will need at least an hour of your attention every day, not to lose the level of socialization.
These birds are very well trained and tricks, and human speech. Talking, whistling and singing to a greater extent males. The girls are modest and silent, but much depends on how often You speak with her. Every animal is configured to dialogue, and the more You talk to him, the more he’ll want You to answer.
The Foundation of good training – felling and affection. Never swear at the bird. It will only scare her, but she couldn’t understand what had upset You. Systematically for 20-30 minutes in a day to repeat the desired words or tricks. Any wish made at once positively encourage, praise words, stroke or give a treat.
During training on teams, always accompany the action of one specific word. For example, when learning to sit on your finger, say “sit down,” slide your finger under the legs (so Corella reflex rearrange paw on your finger) let’s sweets.
Precisely balanced nutrition is the main key to excellent health of the nymphs and their duration of life. The ideal option will be the prepared grain mix for cockatiels and similar birds. Do not be afraid that they have a lot of grass, cereals or other granulates. They should be based (at least 65%) of supply.
If the main feed will consist of whole grains, it can give complication on the liver. Completely grain food contains too much fat, which can undermine the health of birds. Additionally, the diet should contain fresh fruit or vegetable, cooked beans, sprouted grains are natural sources of micronutrients, water and minerals. Be sure to install a special piece of chalk, as a source of calcium. It is especially necessary for females.
There is a list of unresolved products for Corell:
- Almost all heat-treated food;
- Any sweet, spicy and fatty foods;
- Raw bean;
- Foliage from the tomatoes;
- Alkogolsoderzhaschih products;
- Caffeinated products.
Daily change the water, since it often provokes disease in cockatiels. It is often get food debris or droppings that are the source of reproduction of viral and fungal cultures. All raw foods take 3-4 hours and throw away, even if the bird was malnourished. Such products are highly perishable and moldy. More than one slice of any fruit or vegetable to give is not worth it.
Cockatiels eat heat-treated vegetables
Daily serving size for one bird all kinds of food – 40 grams. Not included only the greens, where you can indulge in any quantities. It is familiar to us greens, such as parsley, celery, dill, lettuce and spinach, and sprouted grains, leaves, dandelions, tree buds, clover, nettle. Needed and loved Corelli wood sticks. It can be fruit trees, birch, pine, Linden, spruce.
Every new product introduce gradually. It is not necessary to fill up the bird unfamiliar products. First, it can give a negative reaction on the part of zhtk (loose stools), and second, the pet may refuse unfamiliar food.
Features care corellas
Cockatiels are not very demanding content. It is important that they are free of dirt, it was light enough and was always fun. Regularly clean the cage and if you use Mat, you should choose only natural fillers. Best suited sawdust.
Important brightness and duration of daylight. Do not place the cage in a dark corner, but do not put close to the window. Direct sunlight is undesirable. Photoperiod is 10-12 hours. To adjust it, partially covering the cage in the summer, and giving additional light bulbs in the winter. Too long a day can make the bird more aggressive, and too short – optionee.
The nymphs are contraindicated drafts and sudden temperature changes. The temperature should always be between 20-25 °C. the Birds needed a dip in the water at a temperature of 30-35 °C. It can be and bath, and just a game, when the water flows from the tap. Cockatiels love swimming.
Specific differences between the content of boys and girls there. Differences may be present in the diet, as even single females often lay eggs, they need extra calcium. Even the females for comfort a house or a simulated nests, but these items will provoke a display of empty eggs.
In General, this breed is not prone to diseases and among the centenarians. Any disease that occurs in cockatiels, it is the result of negligent attitude to the pet. Be careful to the behavior of birds, because she will not be able to tell you what feels bad
What may be violations of health:
- The loss of feathers;
- Feather and skin parasites;
- Violation of the structure of the bones and the beak;
- Infectious diseases;
- The gastrointestinal disorders;
- Muscle atrophy;
Immediately sound the alarm and run to the clinic if the bird was obviously sick. A large part of the diseases provoked by poor or inappropriate diet and stress. Signs of health disorders can be traced back in the behavior. Corella becomes more aggressive, more active or on the contrary – very lethargic and constantly sleepy.
The pet may refuse any food or liquid. Check for disturbances in breathing, a discharge from the nose, eyes and cloaca. Never treat Corell yourself! Entrust examination and treatment only by a specialist!
At home breeding parrots Corella runs without any problems and difficulties. Curling Chicks are not recommended for individuals under the age of one and a half years, though females and is able to lay eggs in 8 months. At such a young age the girl will only ruin your health with stress, and Chicks fledged display won’t be able.
Not always attempts to procreate will be successful. The egg may be unfertilized or to stop the development at any stage. This happens and panic. Often not all the eggs fertilized, but they should not be removed from the socket – they help to maintain the desired heat.
In itself the mating season and after laying eggs, it is very important to enhance the diet with calcium, and fresh vitamins. The expectant mother begins a serious calcium deficiency and she needs to fill it. Hatch and care for Chicks of cockatiels together. The Chicks hatch after 2.5-3 weeks.
When the kids appear, the trough should be a lot of wet food, so the parents were able to feed their young. The Chicks develop rapidly and a little more than a month will already be quite independent. However, to say goodbye to them at the age of 3.5 months.