Large German Spitz is one of the oldest European breeds. The country of origin of dogs is Germany. Perhaps their ancestors were peat dogs who lived on the moor in the stone age.
Spitz are room, however, they feel good and in a country house, living in the garden. They have a reasonably good health and able to withstand harsh weather conditions.
Large German Spitz is one of the oldest European breeds
Dogs German Spitz refers to small breeds that include several varieties, differing in size and coloration.
There are 5 variants of the breed:
- Wolfspitz (Keeshond). The largest representative. His height is an average of 43-45 cm and weighs 20 to 25 kg. They are distinguished by a compact and harmonious body. For the Keeshond has a characteristic “spectacles” – a combination of different shades around the eyes. Representatives of this species are only grey wolf color.
- Large Spitz (grasses). Less than the previous species, but also applies to dogs of medium size. Height at withers ranges from 40 to 42 cm Average weight is 17-20 kg. Spitz can have color of white, brown or black with a black undercoat.
- Medium size Spitz (mittelstet). Height at the withers is between 30 and 37 cm and a weight of 8-12 kg. Can have a double curl in the tail. Dogs of this variety have a color of solid black, brown, white, orange, grey-shaded, other (cream, sable and any of the above colors in combination with white). White Spitz should have a pure white coat with no signs of yellowing.
- Small German Spitz (kleinspitz). Has a height 22-29 cm and a weight of 5-8 kg. It is also called petite. Spitz has a thick fluffy coat and resembles a small lion. Coat color small Spitz as the average, is varied.
- Dwarf Spitz (Pomeranian). Has a height of 18-22 cm with an average weight of 1.5-3 kg. any Color – grey, red, beige, brown, black.
Dog Spitz is a very active and energetic, especially at a young age
All kinds of dogs height and body length have a ratio of 1:1, so the format fits easily into a square. Due to the small size Spitz move smoothly and quickly. It seems that they almost touch the ground. Spitz dogs are very agile and energetic, especially at a young age. They are very sensitive and require the owner a lot of attention and affection. The type of rock does not affect the character and temperament of the dog.
All varieties of this breed have similar characteristics of appearance. Dogs feature a compact harmonious body, strong quarters, short strong back and a very bushy tail, which the dog holds rolled in a tight circle over the back. A healthy dog should be easy to spread and free to wag.
The main features of the breed are:
- small growth;
- the coat is straight, vertically raised with dense, short undercoat;
- on the neck and chest wool lies in a bulky collar;
- head and ears covered with fur with short hairs;
- the small head has an elongated shape and gives the similarity of the smaller types of the breed with a Fox;
- the small triangular ears are situated close to each other, always standing;
- pincer bite;
- paws are rounded, short with bulky pads;
- the tip of the nose, lips and eyelids are black in color only in dogs with a brown color allowed dark brown pigmentation;
- eyes oval, of medium size, dark.
Spitz is a cheerful and affectionate dog. But at the same time they are distrustful of strangers and are good guards. Dogs are happy to take part in noisy games, active walks in the fresh air. They have balanced character, different intelligence and devotion. They are easy to train because they are obedient and easy to remember all the commands.
Spitz are good friends. It conveys the mood of the owner, and they skillfully adapt to it, without being obtrusive. They are brave, but not aggressive, good companions for children.
Spitz easily learn all kinds of tricks and enjoys showing them off. If education should exercise restraint, to exclude the punishment and scream. Otherwise, you can not only achieve results, but also to harm the animal psyche. They love to be the center of attention and is willing to raise it by any means: jumping, Jogging around the home, barking. They get along well with other Pets, showing them friendliness and tolerance.
Caring for a dog begins with the first days of life in the farmhouse. There should be a place where the pet can rest. From an early age the puppy should get used to the water. Bathing should be 1 time in 2 months, and after each outing enough to wipe the paws of an animal from the mud. Thick coat Spitz needs daily brushing. Puppies are born with short surrounding coat that rises for 2-3 weeks. With 3 months in dogs starts periodic molting. At this time, a special brush is combed not only the long matted hair, but the hairs of the undercoat.
A proper diet will allow the dog as long as possible to keep fit and have a beautiful shiny coat. Puppies should be fed 4 times a day, adult pet enough 2 meals a day. The diet must include meat in any form, dairy products (milk, cheese, yogurt), eggs. Avoid flour products, potatoes. Do not give small or sharp bones. The fish should be cleaned from bones. Cooking suitable for rice, millet and buckwheat. Carrots, beets, cabbage it is recommended to grind and add to cereals. You can feed the pet feed finished, but it is better to combine them with homemade food, sharing at the time of admission.
Dogs of this breed often suffer from obesity, so you need to monitor the frequency of feedings and amount of food. Vitamin supplements can be given only after consultation with a specialist.