For those who love the strength and kindness, suitable breed of dog of Newfoundland, because they look like big stuffed bears. These dogs of ancient lineage for over a hundred years of living alongside humans.
They are smart, obedient and good, are good guards and lifeguards.
For those who love the strength and kindness, suitable breed of dog of Newfoundland, because they are like large, soft bears.
A bit of history
A rescue dog, according to the researchers, appeared as a breed in Newfoundland many years ago. The exact time of origin is due to the complexity of the definition. These animals are native to the cold and harsh edges, they are not afraid of natural conditions and water. They do not hesitate to rush into the pond to save a drowning person.
As the island of Newfoundland is known for its fierce climate on the basis of this there is a beautiful legend about the origin of this breed. Once upon a time Lord, admiring the created world, noticed people living on the snowy island, who were freezing in the wind and struggling to cope with the rough nature. On reflection, God decided to create a helper from the animal world. Based on the bear and a lot of work on his flexibility and endurance, God created the dog rescuer, friend and helper of fishermen.
Scientists have different views on the origin of the breed, they are separated and are full of changes and inaccuracies:
- The simplest version says that the breed originated in a natural way, evolving and adapting to natural conditions.
- Another version indicates the origin from a wild bear dogs that are so loved by the Vikings and brought to the island.
- The third option is the most mysterious: the Newfoundland originated from the Tibetan Mastiff. How the breed came to the island around half of the world, version not specified.
A rescue dog, according to the researchers, appeared as a breed in Newfoundland many years ago.
Dogs of this breed are very large, maximum weight – 70 kg. height at withers in females up to 60 cm, males – 71 see Newfoundland like a bear with its powerful torso and broad back. Body straight, breed standards length of back from withers to tail should be equal to the distance from the ground to the withers. The head of the dog round with a broad skull.
The muzzle is short, tight to the skull, covered with short hair and deep-set eyes. The eyes are usually dark brown, medium-sized. Nose wide, nostrils well developed. The color of the nose depends on the overall color if the Newfoundland is black and white, his nose will be black dogs with brown colour of the nose is also brown.
The coat is dense, long, and very much. The top hairs are coarse, and the undercoat is thick to the touch softer. Dogs need lower, not waterproof layer of wool in order not to get hypothermia while diving in cold water.
Color is divided into several types: black, dark brown, brown and black with a red tint.
The ears look small compared to the huge skull, they are tightly pressed to the head, making a dog very similar to bear. On the paws between the toes are webbed.
The nature of Newfoundland it is impossible to find any minuses: dog is noble, kind, very obedient and patient. Dog-diver, which is not terrible on the edge of the earth, ready to sacrifice himself to save human life. The dog gets along well with children and adults. It is balance and calm, almost nothing can bring him out of himself, so Newfoundland often work in police stations or service.
The dog is very attached to one owner and belong to the same selfless love for the rest of his life. Separated from his master, Newfoundland will miss and feel bad.
Divers generously endowed with intelligence, they are very sensitive to the tone of voice of a man, catch his mood. It is therefore impossible to resort to didactic methods of training, all you need to do is delicately and gently, the dog without shouting and threats, understand what she wants from the host. Will have to be patient, as the breed is by nature slow and calm.
Dogs love to swim, summer is often better to drive on the water is their element. For the water in the bathroom, dogs should be taught from infancy, as they love water and detergent is not.
This is a great companion dog. With such a defender, not afraid to let go to walk children. If it is good to engage with the dog in her free time, she could easily stay home alone for the whole day and right to expect the return of the master. Divers are difficult to tolerate separation from loved ones.
- In the history was the fact about the large Newfoundland weighing 117 kg.
- Soviet scientists tried to develop a new breed based on the breed and bring the same powerful dog, but with a gene of aggression. All attempts to embitter painless failed miserably.
- In ancient times, powerful dogs were used to carry heavy loads and pulling them out of the water.
- The saviors are able to sense disease in humans and often lick the sore points of the host.
- From the thick fur of dog you can knit scarves, mittens and hats that will save in the harsh winter.
- In addition to these colors, there are Newfoundlands gray. The color recognized by the American kennel club, but in Russia these dogs are registered in the passport with the string “color not recognized FCI”.
Care, maintenance and catering
Contain divers can be on the street and in the apartment. They are not very active and do not need constant motion, at home they mostly lie on the cool floor. Setting the stage for the apartment such a dog, you need to consider that it will be a lot of wool. Dogs need regular combing and caring for thick hair. Washing of Newfoundland need once a month, it is recommended to use dry shampoo to not wash the natural lubrication of the skin and undercoat.
This breed is genetically prone to weight gain, so for pet nutrition will need to be monitored closely. Feed dogs can be as dry food and natural food, but remember about the balance of calories, protein, fiber and carbohydrates. The dog must get the right amount of protein and vitamins in order to grow well at a young age and to be healthy in the future.
For Newfoundland you need to carry out some simple manipulation:
- 1-2 times a week to gently clean the ears with cotton swabs from accumulated sulfur, without getting into the ear canal. It is necessary to regularly visually inspect the ears, eliminating the probability of formation of the inflammatory process.
- Comb once a week dog and in 2 times more often in the shedding period, it is advisable to carry out regular grooming, especially in summer, as the animal hot.
- Regular nail clipping, otherwise the dog will hurt the fingers due to the curvature.
- Regularly walk.
To teach all procedures need a puppy from the first days, or later, given the weight and size of the dog, problems arise. 3 months puppy diver must learn basic commands: “fu”, “no” and “place”. To train large breeds start earlier than everyone else, because in adolescence they are very active and destructive.
The divers get along very well with other dogs, cats and smaller animals. With any number of children they feel comfortable, love to play with them and spend fun time.
But you should know some rules of conduct if you decide to have a dog, having children:
- In adolescence, the dog better not let very young children, in a fit of game heavy puppy can hurt.
- Should look after children and to explain to them that the immature puppy-teenager not yet fully grown and his bones are still very fragile, and children, moving the dog’s tail and paws, may cause irreparable injury to the dog.
- You cannot allow your children to ride the dog’s back, her spine is not suited to carrying cargo.
Information about training
Training on the water, as a rule, this breed does not require, dogs know what to do. Do not overdo it with these exercises: to drag something behind him, to bear a hard thing, etc., because the puppy does not yet have strong bones and may harm himself.
The whole process of training should be built into the game. Remember, dogs by nature are slow and they need time to digest information. But they have a strong intellect and excellent memory, which will greatly facilitate the process of learning. Problems may arise related to stubbornness. Diver, not wanting to carry the team, maybe just lie down and quietly look at the owner, who with treat in hand running around.
Based on the intelligence of the Newfoundland dog experts suggest to bring Pets on the training grounds, so the animals watched over the work of the dogs-professional and tried to imitate them. The dogs start to behave the same as trained dogs and training is fast and easy.
Large and powerful dogs live long. A large body wears out faster, especially since the Newfoundland was created to serve the people with full dedication. Life expectancy barely reaches 10 years.
This breed is prone to the following diseases:
- thermal shocks, overheating;
- the lack of thyroid hormones;
- enteritis, colitis;
- cardiovascular disease;
- volvulus century.
The most frequent disease in this breed is hip dysplasia and congenital heart disease.
It is not recommended to make dogs of divers persons residing in a hot climate. Still need to take into account the origin of the animal and its appearance, the Newfoundland is very suffer from the heat, their skin can be covered with sores and inflammations.
I do not advise to get a dog and those who live in malometrazhek. These dogs can live in an apartment, but they need space.