In equipment for Amateur and sport fishing to hook and line, play the most important role. If no other elements and can be dispensed, without the two – way. The hook detects and holds the fish, and he is a carrier bait, and in some cases it is.
Having a hook for fishing and strong thread, already you can fish, though not such as we would like, but is suitable to satisfy hunger in conditions of wild nature.
That is such a primitive way, using wooden hooks and fishing as ancient people in the Paleolithic era.
Archaeological finds confirm that fisheries that appeared later and gathering hunting wild animals, occupied in the life of primitive people a very important place and existed long before the advent of agriculture.
Found in Japan the oldest fishing devices, similar to modern fishing hooks, there are no less – 22,5 thousand years. The age of the artifacts is established by the method of radiometric Dating, so that the question can not be – to fish with Chrysochou tackle was from prehistoric times.
The component parts of fishing hooks and their distinguishing features
If fishing hooks our ancestors differed little from each other, the appearance of the modern products are so diverse that even a beginning angler it is difficult to determine the choice of this important attribute snap, which depends not only fishing success, but the qualities of its process.
The General design of the fishing hook is made up of separate parts, each of which performs a designated function. (see Figure 1.).
Undoubtedly, the sharpness and durability of this accessory are important qualities that characterize it, but apart from them there are a number of signs that sistematizirovat whole assortment of fish hooks and which guide their choice.
1. The type of hook is determined by the number of brands or piercing ends, in which the hooks are divided into single, double and triple.
Traditional products with one stinger are most widely applied in all directions of fishing. If you wish to increase the tenacity of the lure, it gives you double and triple hooks – “doubles” and “trebles”.
Most often this need arises in angling predatory fish, when it is required to equip the artificial bait and dead fish, crayfish, newts and frogs, used in this capacity.
2. The shape of the hook is the main parameter by which manufacturers of products alter it, fitting under different heads, styles of fishing and for specific species of fish. The General form of a fishing hook has a direct relationship with the configuration and dimensions of its individual parts: the ear, the forearm, poddevom and sting.
- The shank or leg – section from the base of the lug to the beginning of the formation of poddevom (Fig 1 -1). The shank can be straight, curved and original.
Standard length – straight forearm commensurate with the width of the hook and corresponds to twice the value. The deviation of this ratio in more or less characterizes the forearm, as shortened or elongated.
Accessories with a long stem is used for natural and artificial attachments elongated shape – bait fish, worms, lampreys, etc.
Since the leg of the hook is the basis for the manufacture of fly fishing flies and tyrants, products with long forend are in great demand for these purposes.
- Ear or head – piece fishing hook designed for connection with fishing line (Fig 1-2), is executed in the form of a ring or tapered end, like a shovel. Its distinguishing feature is not only the appearance but also the position relative to the axis of the forearm.
The tilt may be absent or be directed to the inside ( tip) or outside. Doubles and tees are available with straight heads looped shape.
- Prising – a characteristic steeply-part of any kryuchochkov fixtures used not only in fishing but also in other directions (figure 1-3). It holds stuff in place which often not only fishing, but also the fishermen. The height, the shape of the poddevom affect the rigidity of the hook, his tenacity and holding property.. Despite the fact that hooks with angular and high poddevom have less zatsepistost, they observed smaller gatherings and they better keep the nozzle.
- Sting – piercing end of the hook for fishing that gives it penetrating power. The absence or presence of small teeth (“barb” Fig 1-7) prevents release of the hook and immediately the fish with it, is the main distinguishing feature of the stinger. In addition, it can have both straight and curved form, and the displacement in both direction from the plane of the forearm.
3. Accurate dimensions and durability (a test) of the hook is determined by its length, width, diameter of the wire from which they are made and the maximum load which this fishing accessory is able to withstand (Fig-2).
Not all manufacturers indicate this information on the packaging of products, many are limited only to relative size – “Size”, expressed as a number or numbers. Each of the countries-leaders in the manufacture of fishing products, have their own numbering.
Despite the fact that it is considered the most common international system adopted in England, the Russian is more acceptable to domestic fishermen.
In contrast to the international numbering, which is the smallest fishing hook with a width of 1.7 mm corresponds to the largest room – No. 24, Russian standard numbers are assigned in ascending order of size from No. 2 to No. 12, and the number value corresponds to the width of the product in millimeters (see tab.).
4. Coating – a corrosion-resistant layer that protects the product from oxidation. As coatings are widely used bluing, chrome-plating, anodizing, Nickel and zinc. Blackened hooks feature a black, chrome – mirror-white, anodized yellow or bronze, galvanized silver matte.
5. Profile – a geometric shape representing the cross section of the fishing hook. The bulk of Kruchonykh products produced from wire, so it has a circular cross section, but forged accessories with oval and rectangular profile representing the product of increased strength, not considered an exception.