Among a wide variety of breeds of rabbits breed “butterfly” occupy a special place. These animals are an unusual appearance. White fur with the characteristic dark spots is their hallmark.
The breed is of great interest to breeders as a source of tender meat and beautiful fur. The dwarf of its kind is no less popular among ordinary fans of these lovely animals and perfect for home detention.
The origin of the breed
A breed of rabbits called “butterfly” was introduced by English breeders in the late nineteenth century. At first it was purely decorative. When its representatives appeared in Russia, their weight did not exceed 3 kg. Breeders decided to make some changes in the characteristics of the variety, by working to increase the weight of the animals.
With this purpose began to use genes of other species such as white giant, Flemish giant, Vienna blue, Soviet chinchilla. In this work, the weight of the rabbits increased to 5 pounds, improved meat quality. The received view was the claim on breeding as a source of dietary meat and unusual fur.
Currently, the rabbits breed the Papillon is popular in many countries of the world. In Germany, France, the Czech Republic had withdrawn their national varieties of the breed.
Appearance and main characteristics
Rabbit-“butterfly” can be easily distinguished from other members of the eared rodents by the characteristic appearance. His white skin is covered with a symmetrical contrasting spots that can be black, grey, blue and even yellow. For all individuals of this breed is characterized by a dark pattern around the nose, in shape resembling a butterfly.
The breed standard is characterized by the following features:
- the head is medium in size (female – oblong, male, more rounded and larger values);
- legs are straight and large;
- eyes dark;
- the nose of the specific color;
- ears dark in color;
- claws and tail light;
- continuous painted border around the eyes;
- broad dark stripe along the spine;
- spots symmetrically located on the face and sides of the torso;
- the dark areas in females around the nipples.
The weight of an adult rabbit-butterfly ranges from 4 to 5 pounds. Body length can reach 60 cm. Bust – up to 38 inches. Animals have a strong powerful torso. Males differ in larger sizes. Wool rabbit should be short, of medium thickness, soft and shiny. If the individual does not meet at least one of the above signs, it cannot be considered purebred.
The disadvantages of defining “marriage”:
- eyes light color;
- the side ornament is adjacent to the strip along the ridge;
- edging around the eyes merges with the drawings of the nose, cheeks, ears;
- the presence of spots on the belly and legs;
- the lack of bunnies dark spots around the nipples.
Rabbits of breed “the butterfly” are characterized by their ability to gain weight quickly. Their females are very prolific, have a high yield. Animals are unpretentious in food and adapt well to various climatic conditions. Life expectancy with proper care up to 5 years.
Features maintenance and care
For the content of rabbits-“butterflies” breeders arrange special pens, cages or cells. The most common and most suitable option is a normal cell. This residence gives the opportunity for constant observation and care of the animals from the owner, control and participation in all life processes little pet.
In the warm season the cage is better to install on the street. The animal, such conditions will only benefit. His fur become more fluffy and shiny, improve the appetite that will ensure rapid weight gain. Fresh air will have a beneficial effect on the formation of a strong immune system, increase resistance to various diseases.
You can not put a cage in a draft! It is dangerous for the health of the animal!
With the onset of cold weather cellular house, be sure to enter in the room. It must be periodically aired, clean and regularly change the pad. In a big-eared rodent should always be some solid food, which he will be able to “sharpen” the teeth, for example, carrot or piece of Apple. If you ignore this rule, rabbit “butterfly” chewing the bars of the cell.
With the aim of preventing possible diseases of animals necessary to conduct timely vaccination. Do the first vaccination at six weeks of age. 10 days before her conduct deworming. Withedoumou vaccination can be done not earlier than after 14 days. At the age of 1 year, the rabbits administered the vaccine complex. Vaccinated individuals for about two weeks isolated from the rest.
Contraindications for vaccination are pregnancy, lactation, illness of a pet. In such cases, vaccination is postponed for the necessary period.
Rabbits of breed “the butterfly” are unpretentious in food. They easily move from one feeding to another, quickly adapt to the new diet.
The daily menu should include:
- green plants (nettle, plantain, clover);
- hard raw vegetables (carrot, cabbage, beet);
- boiled potatoes;
- fruit (in small amounts as treats);
- the branches of fruit trees;
- sprouted grains;
- feed (any other than a bird);
It is necessary to exclude in the form of hay, presence of toxic herbs which can cause poisoning of the animal!
Such herbs include celandine, Lily, Datura, belladonna. In no case should not be given long-eared pet is a strange grass!
The diet of the rabbit-“butterfly” has a great diversity, so to ensure his ward a balanced diet will not be difficult.
But to properly absorb all the nutrients that promote harmonious growth of the animal, observe the following rules of feeding:
- Give food at least two times a day.
- Constantly monitor the availability of fresh water in the cage.
- Do not forget about the physiological needs of a small rodent, providing solid food for “sharpening” the teeth.
- To enrich the diet with additional vitamins and minerals.
- New products to be introduced gradually.
- Do not overfeed the animal, because it can negatively affect reproduction.
- Strictly monitor food quality in order to avoid problems with digestion of the pet.
Females of the breed “butterfly” are characterized by good fertility. The number of pups is eight or more. Every stage of reproduction (mating, gestation, childbirth, newborn care) should be under the control of the owner.
Immediately after mating the female is placed in a separate cage. In the period of carrying a rabbit it is necessary to provide adequate nutritionenriched with special vitamins and minerals. The cage must be properly cleaned and sanitized.
Shortly before childbirth expectant mother begins to prepare for the emergence of the offspring. She equips a cozy place, paving its own fluff. Childbirth usually take place at night and lasts from 15 minutes to 1 hour. Immediately after the female is necessary to drink water.
Lactation in rabbits is approximately 3 months. At the age of 24 days the kids successfully combine nutrition mother’s milk with plant-based feed. And since 35 days is able to milk. At this time they will be weaned from the mother.
Young animals are sorted by gender and weight categories. The smallest is placed in a separate cage because they are weakened and therefore the most susceptible to various diseases. Such kids need special care.
In three month old adult rabbits being moved into the cells to be an adult. First, the time required for adaptation, they should be kept under observation.
Breeding rabbits breed “butterfly” requires constant monitoring on the part of the breeder.
To achieve the desired result, you should consider a few caveats:
- You cannot breed a rabbit-the”butterfly” with representatives of other breeds. This will negatively affect the quality of the fur and the flavor characteristics of meat.
- Despite the characteristic for this breed well-developed maternal instinct, inexperienced young rabbit can stretch the calves in a cage, and in some cases even to eat. So after kindling it is necessary to carefully observe the female, providing her with proper nutrition and plenty of water. If necessary, kids should be relocated to another, more responsible rabbit.
- Translate small rabbits on a regular diet with caution, introducing unusual products gradually. We offer the food should vary gentle. In this period for feeding you can use grass meal, mineral mixture. Solid feed young immature individuals is strictly prohibited!
The relevance of breed
“Butterfly” is one of the most popular breeds of rabbits. Large variety successfully bred for quality meat and beautiful skins. High fecundity, the ability of animals to quickly gain weight give impetus to the development of private business. Dwarf or ornamental, the species enjoys no less popular with pet lovers. And it is not surprising that among the great diversity of representatives of different species rabbit “butterfly” occupies its rightful place.