With new four-legged pet (kitten, puppy, adult, or animal) in front of every conscientious owner, the question arises: what to do to a pet is not plagued by the parasites? Especially nasty in this respect fleas: to catch them animal is quite simple, but to get rid of them is quite problematic.
Fleas can be a dangerous “animals,” despite its tiny size: not only do they cause severe itching of the animal (see, look constantly prochesyvayuschie pet pretty pathetic), and severe infection and even lead to dermatitis (“flea dermatitis”), so they also can be carriers of worms or even infections.
“Advantage” for cats – product of the Bayer – known to many breeders, and almost all of them reported a positive result after treatment cats these drops. That’s just about this tool will be discussed in this article.
Advantage for cats: instructions for use
The description of the drug
Advantage drops is a transparent liquid light yellow or slightly brownish hue.
The main active ingredient – Imidacloprid. It is an insecticide used in veterinary medicine to combat ectoparasites (ectoparasites – those that live on the body surface of the animal). In addition, Imidacloprid has found its application in agriculture: to protect against pests wheat, potatoes, tomatoes and cucumbers, and in many such areas. The mechanism of action of this substance is that affects the Central nervous system of insects, it causes them paralysis and convulsions that lead to death of pests.
- propylene carbonate;
- benzyl alcohol.
The effect of the drug after the treatment of the animal is maintained for months. Under the instructions and dosages drops Advantage have no side effects and does not cause skin irritation.
Indications for use Advantage cats
Drops are assigned mainly for the treatment of animals on “free range”, i.e. those who walk on the street. It does not matter, they reside in the yard in a specially designed enclosure or house, run loose in the street, or walking her on a leash under the supervision of the owners.
Cats that live permanently indoors (apartment or house), less prone to the risk of “catching” fleas, but still the possibility of infection remains, especially with the onset of warm time, when the activity of parasites is enhanced. Therefore, it is recommended to treat and house cats, for the prevention. As a preventive tool Advantage is recommended to be applied once a quarter (three months).
Advantage drops are very easy to apply:
- Before use, you must remove the protective cap from the pipette, puncture the protective membrane;
- Apply the product you need on the withers of a cat. To do this, the coat between the shoulder blades of the animal need to push to drop at extrusion from a pipette impinge on the skin;
- You need to ensure that the place where drops were not available for licking. If you are processing a few animals – it is better to isolate them from each other at the time that they began to lick each other;
- The skin of the pet must not be damaged (scrapes, scratches, bites). If there is any processing it is better to postpone;
- After treatment the cat a little better to hold until the substance is completely absorbed into the skin and fur dries out a bit;
- Bathe pet is allowed not earlier than 4-5 days after application of drops Advantage;
- Dose drops selected accordingly the weight of the cat: one pipette of medicine at a dosage of 0.4 ml calculated on a cat weighing 4 kg.
A more detailed description of the method of application described in the instructions to the drug.
Contraindications to the use of the drug
Drops Advantage low toxicity, so allowed their use for pregnant and nursing cats.
- Not recommended for sick, weak or emaciated animals and animals recently undergone any illness or surgery and under recovery;
- The presence of dermatological lesions (in addition to the “flea dermatitis” allergic reactions to flea bites, more specifically, the saliva of ectoparasites);
- Pets weighing up to 4 kg and kittens under 10 weeks.
Adverse reactions to the use of drops Advantage
If to follow exactly the instructions to the drug and do not exceed dosage, remedy any adverse events will not cause (Advantage well tolerated by animals). Occasionally there may be some irritation at the site of application. It requires no special treatment: irritation goes away after a couple of days.
Possible adverse reactions only known individual intolerance of the drug components.
In this case, perhaps the emergence of such symptoms:
- The animal becomes apathetic;
- Lack of appetite;
- The emergence of seizures.
The appearance of these manifestations is urgently needed to show the cat to the vet.
In complex cases, the treatment site was washed with warm, soapy water and rubbing alcohol. Then assigned symptomatic treatment. But this occurs very rarely: mostly with a significant excess of the dosage, or failure to comply with the recommended time period between treatments the animal.
If the cat has velizelos after treatment
In the instructions, apply the product to the withers, i.e. where the cat is not going to make it and licking. But if suddenly this happens, then do not worry: the cat will start profuse salivation. This is because the drug is very bitter to the taste (not because it is highly toxic).
Such reaction does not require medical intervention – this will pass in a few minutes. But complacency can give your cat a sorbent (for example, half of one activated carbon) and to provide access to clean drinking water in the required quantity.
The benefits of the drug Advantage for cats
- Good efficiency – for two days after treatment the drops, the pet will get rid of almost all the fleas;
- Easy to use;
- Malotoksicnam – tool is not absorbed into the animal’s blood, and distributed to the skin. So it can be used for the treatment of pregnant and nursing cats. The drug is absolutely safe for humans;
- The drug continues to act for months after treatment. The adult parasite dies immediately after the bite (i.e. after contact with the skin of the cat). This is important because the flea does not have time to lay their eggs.
- Advantage drops resistant to moisture: they are not afraid of rain, dew and other precipitation, as well as bathing – medium efficiency does not decrease even after that;
- In the processing of lactating cats drug protects against fleas not only herself but also her kittens (“umbrella effect”);
- Drops Advantage have larvicidal effect, i.e. they are able to destroy larvae of parasites in the place where a cat lives (couches, rugs, etc.). This occurs when the contact is processed by means of wool directly with the body of the larvae.
Recommendation: if the animal is heavily infected, i.e., parasites on the body of huge number, the first is to buy a cat with the use of a mild flea shampoo, and only then, after 2-3 days (to leave the animal can not at this time), to handle pet drops Advantage.