The cat can’t tell you about their illnesses, they can only be understood by certain symptoms. One of these symptoms is blood in the urine of the cat or, as it is called vets, hematuria. Hematuria indicates a serious disease of the animal.
Many owners discover this, you begin to panic: “the cat urine with blood, what to do?”. In this article you will learn what diseases cause hematuria, what are the symptoms exist, how to help the animal and how to treat it.
Looks like the urine of cats in normal and hematuria
First you need to know, how does the urine in healthy cats and in cats with hematuria:
- urine is a liquidproduced by the kidneys. Along with it are removed from the body harmful substances, excess salt, enzymes, etc. If the cat is healthy, the urine in her transparent, light yellow or orange color, with no muddy rain and blood clots. In addition, the urine of an animal does not emit a sharp odor;
- urine with blood in cats can be detected by hosts when changing the kitty litter. Blood is in the form of clusters of severe illness. In mild stages of the disease often changes color, it becomes dark brown, appears sharp unpleasant smell. If you suspect that the owner must collect your urine or pet and to assess the presence of blood is visually, or transfer it for analysis to the specialist.
Causes of hematuria
Blood in the urine, the cat is itself only a symptom of diseases of the genitourinary system.
These conditions include:
- cystitis an inflammatory process in the bladder;
- urethritis – inflammation in the urinary channel;
- pyelonephritis – renal failure;
- prostatitis, endometritis – lesions of the genital organs;
- urolithiasis – the formation of sand and stones in the kidneys. This disease is often the cause of blood appearing in the urine of the cat or cats. It leads to urolithiasis cystitis, urethritis and pyelonephritis;
- strong bruises, injuries.
The causes of kidney stones
Most often blood in the urine, the cat talks about the development of his kidney stones. Scientists are still arguing about what causes the formation of stones.
One of the main reasons is improper diet:
- in the diet there are a large number of phosphates;
- lack of vitamins;
- a monotonous diet;
- a large number of marine fish.
Cats-neuter kidney stones frequently develop due to stagnation of urine. The reason for this is narrowing after castration urethra.
Symptoms of kidney stones
In addition to the presence in the urine of cats blood, kidney stones may indicate the following symptoms:
- lack of appetite;
- excessive thirst;
- pain when urinating, at the end of urination cat may much cry;
- about urination, the animal frequently runs to the tray;
- the increase in temperature.
If the owner is found in the urine of your pet’s blood, and there is all of the above symptoms, to going to the vet and start any treatment the cat or the cat you can give first aid.
It boils down to the following:
- to provide your pet rest in a warm room clean bedding;
- to make a shot for the pain (“no-Spa”, “Baralgin”). Analgin is contraindicated in cats;
- to feed the pet should be only liquid food;
- to provide cat to drink plenty of water should be available in large quantities;
- it is not recommended to give the animal antibiotics without prescription of a veterinarian;
- reduce inflammation well helps decoction of parsley, so you should use them the cat. In addition to anti-inflammatory, decoction of parsley has antibacterial properties;
- a decoction of juniper or horsetail will help flush out the urinary tract substances that cause inflammation.
How to collect urine from the cat
To diagnose a disease, you need to collect cat urine according to the following rules:
- litter box a well-washed and disinfected by using boiling water;
- the tray must be empty without filler;
- if the pet does not want to urinate in an empty tray, you can pour into him or a special litter for collecting urine or disinfected aquarium stones;
- when the cat urinated, it should be wearing sterile gloves, drain the urine into a pre-prepared sterile container;
- to visually assess the presence of blood in the urine. For this it is enough to consider good lighting. If the urine is brownish, it can be seen blotches and blobs, the animal is hematuria;
- if you visually assess the presence of blood in the urine is not obtained, it is passed for analysis to the experts, but it must be done no later than 2-4 hours after collection.
Diagnosis of the disease
To diagnose a particular disease causing blood in the urine, the cat needs the vet.
For this purpose, he may order the following tests:
- urinalysis and blood;
- swab of the vagina in cats;
- Abdominal ultrasound;
- urine culture flora;
- analysis of the stones.
After an examination and obtaining an accurate picture of the disease, correct diagnosis, the doctor prescribes treatment.
Treatment includes the following activities:
- when dehydration cat or cat designate dropper or intravenous injections of saline and glucose;
- the antibiotics that the doctor prescribes in the form of intravenous or intramuscular injections, or orally in pill form;
- a strict diet;
- optionally, the injected vitamin K1;
- medications to improve blood clotting when bleeding;
- drugs relieves pain and spasms;
- difficult urination the cat or the cat set urinary catheter;
- if necessary, stones removed surgically.
The development of diseases that provoke the appearance of blood in the urine of the cat or cats, it is easier to prevent than to treat, so it is important to observe the following preventive measures:
- to diversify the diet of cats;
- to carry out the necessary vaccinations;
- to carry out preventive treatment of the pet from tapeworms and fleas;
- not to overfeed your furry pet;
- to include in the diet of the animal dairy products;
- neutered cats recommend feeding marine fish to avoid accumulation of salts;
- to provide your pet easy access to water;
- cats need to have an active lifestyle.
So, blood in the urine, the cat or the cat suggests the existence of severe health problems, most often kidney stones. To accurate diagnosis, you should collect your urine pet visually evaluate its condition for the presence of blood and impurities and send them for analysis professionals, and also to go to the vet and carry out the necessary surveys. After confirming the diagnosis the vet prescribed treatment. However, any disease is easier to prevent than to treat, so it is important to observe preventive measures.