Adult cats and young kittens is a bad feeling, but unlike their masters, they can’t complain to him and show that they are concerned about. For this reason, owners need to monitor their Pets in order to spot the signs of disease.
Symptoms can be different: long sleep, irritability, increased activity, lack of appetite, various atypical selection.
For novice breeders and inexperienced owners often worry due to the fact that a cat has a hot nose. Therefore, they try to understand how in a healthy animal, it needs to be. Especially frightening owners of the hot nose of the cat. This is often regarded as the first sign of viral disease.
The most common isolated symptom does not indicate illness, but in some cases is a reason to look closely at the behavior and health of the pet.
Why a cat has a dry nose?
If the owner found that a cat has a hot nose and noted for its dryness, is not a reason to immediately call a veterinarian or to run to the clinic.
For this animal there are several reasons:
- Immediately after waking up often with a dry nose of a cat is the norm. This is due to the fact that during the day the animal is constantly moisturizes her nose, licking it, and in the dream this is not happening. After some time after you Wake up everything comes back to normal, and the olfactory organ of the cat is again cold and wet. To worry about this is not necessary, it does not speak about the poor health of the pet.
- If the detection of the symptom was preceded by the activity of the kitten outdoors in warm or hot weather, the worry is not worth it. On the street under the influence of high temperature, the nose could just be dry. The reason for this may be even and dust that got into the airway of the animal during a walk. The same result can be noticed after the cat spent a long time near the heat source: the furnace or heater. After all, even in humans often starts to peel and dry skin from a long stay in a room with dry air.
- It happens that the cat’s nose is cool but dry. This is due to the fact that the animal is in a cold room licking your breathing body, to normalize the heat in the body and not to lose heat. When the temperature in the room everything comes back to normal and the dryness goes away.
How normal is the nose of the cat?
In a healthy animal, the nose is a little wet, cold and smooth. Cats constantly lick, in addition, through the pores, they have constantly released a special liquid, which performs a protective function. Nose the cat performs many different functions, except for the smell. With it, the animal is oriented in space determines the direction of the air flow and feels heat and cold. The higher the hydration, the more accurately the animal feels the influence of the environment. Excessive dryness leads to cracking of the body, forcing the cat to feel uncomfortable and desorientiert it.
In young kittens dry nose can be explained by their lack of independence immediately after birth. They are not able to reach his tongue to moisten.
Dry nose is a symptom of the disease
We can assume this characteristic symptom of the disease only in combination with other abnormalities in the condition of the animal. For example, if together with the increase in temperature of the nose, the owner noticed more and hot cat ears, this indicates a General increase in body temperature of the animal. You can check their guesses using the rectal thermometer to make a measurement. This should be done carefully so as not to harm the animal. The whole measurement procedure takes less than a minute.
The standard temperature domestic cats is 38-38,5 degrees, breeds without wool it a bit higher – between 39 and 40 degrees. During pregnancy temperature the cat becomes 1 degree higher than normal. If this difference is above, you should consult a veterinarian as soon as possible.
Noticing dryness of the nose of the animal, you need to carefully to stalk the Stalker. The time of observation without treatment to a specialist should not exceed 4-5 hours. During this time, you can try yourself to bring down the temperature and attach to the head of a cat cold compress or ice. To avoid dehydration, drink copiously to the animal with warm water. For breeds with no wool will be useful for the procedure of wiping a cool cloth or spraying.
The use of drugs to reduce fever in humans is strictly forbidden to treat cats! This can lead to death.
If in addition to the dryness and increase in temperature of the nose of the animal observed other symptoms, you should immediately take him to a doctor.
Such characteristics include:
- dry or wet cough;
- cramps of the extremities;
- problems with digestion (diarrhea or vomiting);
- problems with urination;
- blood in the stool;
- constant drowsiness;
- allocation from the mouth of foam or saliva;
- nervousness and cries;
- the loss of orientation in space;
- watery eyes;
- dramatic shedding of hair;
- wheezing and other breathing problems.
Hot and dry nose in cat: the measures taken
If suddenly you noticethat your kitten or adult cat dry nose, you need to look very carefully at his behavior. If the animal is very active, eats normally and plays, the reasons for the unrest there.
If the cat very warm ears, should be using the rectal thermometer to measure the temperature of his body. If significant deviations from the norm should consult a veterinarian. If the identified symptom disappeared by themselves, it is necessary for prevention to be tested to find out the cause of these symptoms.
Even if cracking of the skin on the nose of a cat and the constant dryness, it is impossible to apply ointments and creams. Remember that the animal licks his lips and they can get poisoned. The dryness itself will bewhen it is resolved the cause of its occurrence.
Dry nose and its temperature increase do not always mean infection of cats with the disease. With the appearance of other unpleasant symptoms you need to pay special attention, in order to seek help. The use of folk remedies in this case is not the best way to treat pet.