Cat breed Maine Coon are large in size, peculiarities of behavior and character. Kept in the house such an animal is quite difficult, because pedigree cats require special care and special balanced diet.
Special attention should be paid that only lived in the house kitten Maine Coon, which should pick up the correct feed.
Features of the breed.
Cat breed Maine Coon differ thick silky the coat, ears with tufts, muscular body with a length of over one meter, large limbs and a long tail. Quite a large animal requires a rich nutrition and eating a half to two times bigger than a cat.
To pet had an attractive appearance and grow up healthy, you should take care of his hygiene, to make the time to be vaccinated and pick the right food. Purebred animals are very sensitive and the wrong food can make you ill. Often they suffer from liver and kidneys. Feed them prepared foods, and natural products. But before you give food in Maine-kun, you should learn what you can and can not eat your pet.
What to feed a kitten a Maine Coon?
When buying a kitten you should ask the breeder what he fed the baby and how to feed your pet further. In the first days of changing the diet of kittens not. After the kitten gets into the house, fed him the same feed as the breeder. If it was decided to change the feed, a new pet’s diet should be introduced gradually.
If the kitten is 1 month
At this age baby gradually wean from the milk of a cat and begins to get acquainted with a new food. If Mama cat is not enough milk, that already from the age of three to four weeks the baby can start to feed special milk for kittens.
Also the pet should be given , lean beef, Turkey or rabbit. Meat previously well promarijuana, then Asprovalta boiling water. In the first trial times the meat should be the size of a pea. And if during the day no signs of stomach upset in your pet is not observed, it can continue to feed meat. The dose should be increased gradually.
The lure is best to begin not with milk porridge and meat, to accustom your kitten to chew.
Each week introduces a new product:
- after meat cheese;
- then the cooked egg yolk from a quail or chicken eggs;
- watery porridge (milk diluted by half with water).
All products are introduced gradually and at first in very small doses. Protein from eggs animals can not be given because it can cause allergies.
Feeding your Maine Coon in 2 months
From a breeder kitten to take at the age of approximately twelve weeks, but if you have the house has settled a two-month kitten, then feed it will need six times a day. During the day, the kitten needs to eat from one hundred fifty to two hundred grams of the feed, to which he was accustomed.
If you have selected dry food for Maine coons or prepared canned foods, foods start with them. Choose special food for kittens in the first months of dry food soaked, and instead of meat to give the canned food.
First time need to give a little feed and see if it is suitable kitten. If all goes well, gradually increase the number and volume of feed to normal, which is recommended by the manufacturer.
The diet of the Maine Coon at the age of 3-4 months
At this age kids still eat milk Mama cat, which strengthens the immune system and is very useful for health. In three months, the breeders start giving more of a variety of feeding Pets, preparing them thus to move to a new place of residence.
Feed the kittens four to six times a day.
You can drive natural products:
- low-fat sea fish;
- carrots, cabbage, zucchini, pumpkin;
- the butter and cream.
At this age the kids have a good appetite, because they are actively growing. So, if it seems that the kitten eats a lot, but he’s all right with digestion, restrict food the pet is not worth it.
Approximate the rate of feed for Maine Coon cats over the age of 2 months to the day:
- Dry grains – 15 grams (soak or boil in water).
- Dairy or dairy – 40 grams.
- Vegetables – 40 grams.
- Fish or meat 130 grams (one day can be given meat, and other fish).
Food cats should be fortified, therefore, in diet with added vitamin and mineral supplements. But what and how much should consult a veterinarian.
Diet for kittens from 4 months
Cats the Maine Coon is a rather large animals, so four months of age their size reaches the size of a regular adult cat. Intensive growth requires good nutrition, which must contain enough amount of protein and be high in calories.
By this age, kittens are already fully switching to dry food and ready to move into a new house. Of dry food for Maine coons, it is recommended to choose food super-premium or holistic. Manufacturers produce a special product which is suitable for cats of large breeds. Dry food is convenient because it is possible to pour in a bowl and leave home. Feed the kitten must be at least four or five times a day. If he eats organic food, then in the afternoon they should be charming to give, because they should only be fresh.
In addition to fish and meat, baby after the age of four months it is possible to give by-products in the form of a rabbit or chicken liver, stomach and heart. Offal, you can feed your pet once or twice a week.
Feeding your Maine Coon 6 months of age
Six-month-old kitten is not actively growing, so the frequency of feeding per day is reduced to three times. However, at the same time increases the volume of the single portion. During the day, the Maine Coon should eat two hundred to two hundred fifty grams of feed. The share of meat products should be the fifth.
In the diet of almost adult cat should be vegetables (except cucumbers and potatoes) and vitamin-mineral supplements that are appointed by the vet.
Like a kitten and the adult cat in a free access must always be clean water, which is poured into a separate bowl.
At the age of seven months the pet is transferred to adult food. After a ten-month age food should be twice a day. Neutered and spayed animals selected specialized diet.
Food for adult Maine Coon from natural products
To feed the pet should be only with products that are useful.
In the diet of the Maine Coon should include:
- By-products in the form of chicken gizzards, liver, hearts. Lungs and kidneys of the cats eat bad, but when feeding them liver it should be borne in mind that it is weak. In addition, the consumption of liver can lead to darkening of the coat in animals with light coat colour.
- Give the meat lean. You can feed the Maine Coon gvaginas, lamb, rabbit meat, Turkey or chicken.
- Vegetables can be given raw or boiled. Useful for cats pumpkin, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots. If the pet separately does not eat vegetables, then you can add them to rice or buckwheat. Some Pets love the fruit, which the same is to feed the cats.
- Eggs are a useful product, but chicken can cause allergies, so they feed the animals no more than twice a week. Best diet to introduce quail eggs.
- Dairy products should be given to Maine Coon, one to two times a week.
- Goat’s milk is a substitute for cow’s. If the kitten is no problem drinking cow’s milk, older cats it is not absorbed.
- Herbs in the form of sprouted wheat or oats. Grass from the street Pets can not feed.
- Seafood. Instead of meat, a couple times a week cats can be fed with marine fish. As an incentive, the Maine Coon can give the squid. Dried or fresh seaweed is very useful for animals because it contains trace elements.
Next to the bowl from which the cats eat, should always stand in water with water. It is not recommended to pour cats boiled water. There is practically no potassium, which animals have worse teeth.
What foods are prohibited for cats?
In any case, do not feed the animals food from the table, because some products may be harmful to the health of Pets.
Maine coons do not recommend feeding:
- Meat duck, goose and pork. Raw they can cause infectious diseases. But even in cooked form these fatty meats are not recommended. Their use provides a greater load on the liver.
- Bones to cats is better not to give, as they can injure the stomach and clog up the intestines.
- Raw fish is not only a source of worms, but is able to trigger the defeat of the animal with urolithiasis. In addition, it contains a substance which destroys vitamin B.
- Beans emit gases and cause flatulence.
- The potato can cause stomach upset, because cats starch is not digested.
- Hercules is able to trigger the development of skin diseases and disrupt carbohydrate metabolism.
- Sweets (cakes, candy, sugar, etc.) – is a direct path to bad teeth and weakening of the immune system. For cats poison theobromine is contained in chocolate. Therefore, even if a pet eats a little piece of chocolate, it can poison.
- Salty, spicy and fatty foods, canned goods and sausage stomachs of cats do not digest. Their continued use leads to disease of the internal organs.
In addition, meat for pet best taken from reliable sellers. Semi-finished products for animals is better not to buy because they are made from poor quality meat.
How to feed a Maine Coon?
Cats who eat organic food, you must feed in accordance with some rules:
- Products are not salt, not pepper or not use any spices and condiments.
- Food should be given in the form of heat.
- To avoid constipation, the meat in the ratio 1:1 mixed with vegetables.
- Animals fed meat, which after a few days spent in the freezer. After defrosting, it should be scalded with boiling water.
- In the diet of the Maine Coon have to be vitamins and minerals. Daily Pets should be given amino acid omega-6 and omega-3 and vitamins a and group B.
For cats that will eat prepared food products should be chosen not below premium. For large breeds and Maine coons producing special feed known manufacturers of Royal Canin and Bosh Sanabelle Grande. The composition of such feed includes all the essential pet nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
A proper balanced diet as a kitten Maine Coon, and an adult animal is the key to good health of the pet. If the kitten will receive all the necessary nutrients and will not eat harmful foods then it will grow into beautiful, healthy, confident dog with a shiny coat and cheerful disposition.