Why not just stored in so-called Bins of the Motherland! It turns out that there is trophy and carbines Mauser 98K German Wehrmacht. Or rather, what was left of them after salvage on the battlefield.
That’s from the scrap Tula arms and Vyatsko-Polyansky plant “Molot” collect carbines KO-KO 98-98 M1.
This weapon is highly controversial. As for residual quality and shooting possibilities. Its acquisition is largely like trying to win the lottery “sports lottery”.
Description carbines KO-KO 98-98 M1
Classic bolt rifle model 1898. Historical rarity. Going “with the forest of pine” from parts of rifles of different model years, so all the major parts of the serial numbers are different. The same stigma is only modern.
Carbines CO-produced 98 TOZ (manufacturer of the famous TOZ-BM, TOZ-122, 120, 99, 78, 88 etc.). This so-called perestane weapons. Mazeroski original barrel replaced with modern, .308 Win chambered for 7,62×51. He shortened by two inches (between the muzzle cut a fly no free space), it was not possible to fix a bayonet. Also there is no H-shaped tide on the coupling of the forearm, over which were hung the bracket on the handle of the bayonet-knife.
- The cause of perestilki is, apparently, a desire to not only customize weapons under common caliber, but excessive wear and tear of original parts. On the receiver boxes of the stamps 39 and 41, is carefully shaded pockets of deep corrosion, and similar defects. The store and the applicant cartridges in it, left the original, but to compensate for the length of the sleeve (of the caliber .308 Win she is 6 mm shorter) in obolonnya the groove of the receiver pin is inserted. The diameter of the stems of the sleeve in both cases is almost identical – of 11.95 and 12.01 mm, so the larva shutter is left original.
- Carbines KO-98 M1 (VPO-115) produced Vyatsko-Polyansky machine-building plant “Molot” (the most proizvoditel Vepr pioneer, Super, hunter and Snipe HPE-201-M, 201-05, etc.). It is almost original Mauser 98K with original barrel caliber 7,92х57. It contains all the militaristic signs – a place for mounting a bayonet-knife, for example. The Assembly is made on the same principle from different models. However the residual as above, since the receiver boxes are factory marks 44 or 45.
In both cases, the ballistic label, as is done with domestic rifles Mosin, Tokarev and Simonov, the weapons are placed.
Advantages and disadvantages
For lovers of historical curiosities to touch a “real” Mauser 98K is the reason for reverential admiration. From a practical point of view, the benefits of owning such weapons is low because it is outdated and has excessive wear.
- The Assembly of parts from different models deprives carbine collector’s value.
- This carabiner makes sense to compare only with similar rarity – hunting rifle KO-44, the civil variant of the Mosin rifle.
- The quality of manufacture of parts of the rifles produced in Germany until 1944, slightly higher than in the USSR. After this year it compares to the weapons of the Wehrmacht cast and milled parts are replaced with forged. But it is not always particularly high, as in any mass production in wartime. It makes no sense to lick each pin of the weapon, which in a few days of use may be under the treads of the tank or in the ditch.
- Metal Mauser 98K extremely unstable to corrosion, the rifle needs constant care and cleaning. To shoot it will be with a clam in the barrel, but sniper accuracy can be forgotten.
- In the best case, the accuracy of the battle will be within 2 MOA, but most likely will have to settle for four units.
- Long rifle barrel according to the bullet muzzle velocity, so you can hit targets at distances up to 300 meters with standard and 1500 meters with a telescopic sight. However, its stopping power is low. Moose it’ll blow through, after which he will die somewhere around 10 kilometers from the place of hunting on the principle of “do not get you to anybody”. This is especially true for the cartridge .308 Win, shooting which requires the sniper to hit the spot.
- Three-position fuse Mauser 98K and a latch on the left side of the back plate receiver ensures that you won’t lose your paddle during transport that the Mosin rifle is commonplace.
- Loading as “mosinki”, top only, which in itself is not too convenient, and in pristvolnyh models further exacerbated by the inability to use clips.
- The inconsistency in components that are only theoretically suitable to each other, leads to the fact that the force applied to the stopper when reloading, can be excessive. Often dragging the shutter end positions and utykanie cartridge when chambering. The same wonders are observed with USM, the trigger of which may be hard, soft, with very short or, conversely, long stroke. All this is only tested in a practical way.
- Cartridges of caliber 7,92х57 rare and expensive. And you can get to the trunk with the military version of the IRS under a pointed bullet of 1944, which is a few tenths of a millimeter more than civilian weapons. Internal ballistics of the barrel in this case deteriorates, and the accuracy becomes unsatisfactory.
The trunks, manufactured by TOZ, are of low quality. The diameter of the bore (on the Donets rifling) ranges from of 7.64 to 7.66, meeting the cartridge chamber with the cavities or projections.
- The ergonomics of the Lodge is not ideal. Due to the lack of notches on the fore-end and grip the rifle hard to hold with cold hands or in the rain. The slope of the handle is too flat, therefore, long-term vysalivanie may experience discomfort in the wrist. Metal butt plate is not the best absorber of impact, which is quite significant.
- Installation of optical sights is the need to demonstrate locksmith skills. On the receiver there are no recesses for them. Usually you remove the bar completely (Unscrew it) and put a Picatinny rail, custom.
The weapon is quite heavy, in running order it weighs more than four kilograms.
Carbine KO-98 (photo)
Carbine KO-98 is used for hunting small and medium-sized ungulates and predators. Lose goals is possible at distances up to 1500 meters when using optics and up to 300 meters from the outer sighting devices.
|Type||Repeating rifle with a bolt breech|
|Barrel length (mm)||580||600|
|The number of rifling||4||4|
|Shop||Integrated (charge top)|
|Weight unloaded (kg)||3,9||4,1|
Carbine bolt-on bolt. Barrel made of carbon steel, blued, rigidly connected to the forearm. The right four thread connection with the threaded receiver.
- Receiver open, steel, round, milled from a solid billet. The recesses for mounting optical sights on the top face there.
- A bolt with three lugs – two near the larvae, the other on the stem, near the handle. The tooth extractor one end of the striker remains at the level of the mirror shutter.
- On the left side of the back plate receiver located on the latch that releases the shutter when disassembling.
- The fuse box has three positions: turned to the left – “Fire”; set vertically “Stop”, the bolt remains mobile; turned to the right full lock the trigger and bolt body (stowed position). To put it upright (off) only when the cocked firing pin.
- The course and the force on the trigger is not adjustable.
- The store is integrated, the loading only from the top, through the window of the receiver. Full extraction cartridges possible while pressing the latch (used stycos bullets) located in front of the front branch of the trigger guard, and remove the cover from the feeder.
- Sights only external. This rear sight with remote line and metal front sight with removable cover.
- Polupoltina bed from beech wood or birch. The forearm is long, narrow. Buttstock with metal buttplate and a straight comb, with a strong downward inclination relative to the axis of the barrel.
Picking and packing
The rifle comes in a cardboard box. In addition to passports and the instructions in the package nothing else.
The principle of operation
The design of the bolt and trigger mechanism is such that the put on combat platoon comes at a time when the bolt handle is raised, indicates that the back plate of the drummer, out from the bolt body by 10 mm. the retracting handle back casing is removed, and when applying the stalk forward there is a lifting up of the cartridge from the store and feeding into the chamber.
Before loading bolt handle is lifted and the platoon drummer. After that, the fuse box can be lifted straight up. The bolt is moved back, giving access to the feeder store. In the model, KO-98 M1 caliber 7,92х57 there is a groove under the cage for five rounds. It is inserted into it, the bullet of the top cartridge lifted index finger, and on the bottom of the sleeve nadavlivanie large, then the whole pack of ammunition recessed in the store. The clip is held weakly, she drops out when moving the slide forward, it doesn’t have to pull as the “mosinki” or SVT. In the model, KO-98 chambered for 7,62×51 ammunition loaded into the store one by one.
When translating fuse box is in the stowed position (fully to the right) is a removal of a drummer with cocking and locking of the trigger with the bolt body. To bring weapons in combat position, it is necessary to rotate the check box to the left and raise the handle of the shutter, and then lower it, keeping the stem back.
Disassembly and Assembly of breech carbine KO-98 described below.
Before cleaning and inserting the bolt weapon is discharged, to which the flag is set to “Stop” (turn-up), and bolt handle a few times to empty the store, play ago.
- Pull the bolt back until it stops.
- Pull the left latch on the left side of the back plate of the receiver.
- The output gate of the receiver.
The separation of the barrel to the receiver from the Lodge is connected with considerable effort and possible damage of the parts. Therefore, this should be done only when absolutely necessary.
- Press the latch of the front plate of the forearm on both sides. Slide it to fly (using the cover it is released).
- Pull the spring loaded latch.
- Slide the second metal pad forearm to fly.
- Remove the wooden trim on the breech of the barrel.
- Remove the feeder cartridges and the cover, which hit a bullet or screwdriver with Phillips head on the latch located in front of the front branch of the trigger guard.
- Remove the two screws – one behind the trigger guard, the other in front of the bunker store.
- Remove the block of the trigger guard with a mandrel of the bunker.
- Separate the box from the barrel to the receiver and trigger mechanism.
Sometimes you need to disassemble the shutter. This is done by the cocked firing pin.
- Take the bolt with the left hand, a check of the fuse right.
- The rotating back plate of the drummer for this kind of the lever in a counterclockwise direction, remove the percussion mechanism from the bolt body.
- Uperevshis head into the hole of the grommet (round metal plate) butt, hit on the firing mechanism and release the stopper backplate, then rotate it counterclockwise.
- Remove the striker and spring, clear the check box of the fuse.
Carbine is worth from six to ten thousand rubles.
If you abandon the excessive enthusiasm for the possession of allegedly real Mauser 98K, it turns out that the gun is very mediocre. The accuracy of the battle barely fit into the three units of the MOA, the impact is strong. Heavy weapons that require constant attention – cleaning, lubrication. For beginners it is better not to undertake at all, since a miss on slaughtering place is a wounded animal that is sure to disappear.