Cats are most susceptible to otitis media, so it arises from them often enough, but to worry because this is not worth it, because it is not a fatal disease.
The disease includes inflammatory action that occurs in one of the auricles, and is accompanied by a pain and tingling inside the affected region.
This disease has three varieties, each of which has its own characteristics and unique features, but also has an individual method of treatment.
1. External otitis in cats is a form of the disease is the easiest. It is easy to overcome and get out of the body of the animal, since this disease in a short time can affect only the external portions of the ear.
2. Average otitis in cats – this form often becomes chronic otitis, because the inflammation penetrates the ear and begins to affect the area of the eardrum.
3. Internal otitis in cats – this form of disease is most harmful and carry negative consequences for the health of the animal. During this ear infection most of the animals were deaf and amazed by numerous ailments. Thus, pathogenic infection otitis penetrates the brain and causes consequences that are difficult to draw.
Causes of otitis in cats?
The cat can catch the disease in various ways. Most owners often are mistaken when they think that the otitis in the ears of cats can only start because of hypothermia or respiratory infections. This disease has many different reasons that it can quickly evolve and emerge in the body of a healthy animal. So, the ear region has the greatest propensity to lose, so important role in the development of the disease will play insects and other foreign objects.
The main reasons why otitis media occurs
- The occurrence of Allergy.
Thus, the object, or bacteria, which the animal provokes Allergy symptoms can easily and in a short time to provoke the cat the appearance and spread of the disease the ears. This occurs because the microbes allergic-type, penetrating into the body of the pet, change the entire microflora environment in all departments of internal organs. This includes the ear Department of the animal. After this allergic reaction causes inflammation, resulting in one of the forms of otitis media.
- Harmful insects and parasites.
No difference whether the pet is a large part of his time in the house or spends his free time on walks, it constantly assists along with surrounding objects, people and animals. Any pet has a chance to pick up a dangerous insect or pest. So, in most cases, otitis media in cats is caused by being in the ear for ear mite. The mite thrives inside the ear of the animal, where he’s comfortable and convenient to live freely and multiply. This pest also contributes to the development of forms of the disease and penetration of infection deep inside the ear.
- Mechanical damage and injury.
So, various scratches and wounds on the ears, which result from damage by sharp branches, prickles or parts of plants, quickly waspast the skin of the ear and make it vulnerable to the growth of harmful bacteria and microorganisms. These injuries often heal poorly, and begin to fester, which adversely affects the health of ears and be a real danger to cats.
- Fungus and other dangerous microorganisms.
Various fungi and harmful organisms that used to breed in humid and damp environment. That is why the ear, which was subjected to various types of damage will be a good place for the formation and growth of harmful bacteria. After they enough to breed, and they will be very many bacteria are grouped and continue their penetration inside the ear closer to the tympanic membrane.
- Wound various objects.
If the animal is injured in any cutting or sharp object, it will also affect his health. So, wounds will bring more discomfort to the pet. And it thus will be to comb, increasing the area of the lesion. Wound for a long time does not heal, constantly suppurate, and after it formed the otitis media early stage.
- Intercourse with an infected pet.
Close contact with other animals can also act as the occurrence and spread of disease. For example, for a short period of time is a healthy cat will communicate with the creature, a sick ear otitis that will lead to a rapid throwing out of the disease to a healthy animal.
- Poor hygiene of the pet.
Some species of cats are due to the large selection of ear sulphur. The owner of the pet needs to look carefully at this process and prevent oozing. A large number of emitted sulfur is usually removed with a cotton pad, which was pre-dipped in boiled water.
Disruptions in the hormonal background, the animal often cause problems in the eyes, ears and skin of your pet. If time does not begin treatment of the problem, it will become even stronger and will gain a new level of inflammation.
Treatment of otitis in cats
Inspection of the animal and the stage of treatment is only possible with a veterinarian. Such rules are necessary, because only an experienced specialist can understand and determine the stage of the disease, its prevalence. If you self-medicate at home, you can easily worsen the condition of the pet that can cause meningitis and even death of the pet.
So, the doctor prescribes a certain course of treatment individually for each cat. The main goal during treatment is to suppress the development of infections and to address the root problem of the disease – harmful bacteria, which is able long to multiply and neighing of the ear of the pet.
If the otitis has an easy stage, the owner should create a specific schedule of time when he will be engaged in cleaning the ears of your pet. If the damage is surface shape, the more often you should wash with a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide.
If you have otitis media the middle stage, the vet prescribes a course of treatment with antibiotics and drugs that quickly and effectively reduce inflammation of the ear divisions of the cat. If the animal has discomfort and pain, almost always he prescribed pain medication, or injections.
When the stage of otitis media is complex degree, the doctor prescribes a large complex of treatment, which is carried out in order to not only cure the cat, but also to protect it from possible destruction. Most often the animals cease to hear after treatment, as the eardrum and ear canal will be completely damaged. In such difficult situation it is customary to assign a large list of drugs and antibiotics, and conduct regular treatment with different drugs.
The symptoms of otitis media
The main symptoms of the presence of otitis media in cats are fairly easy to recognize. Otitis media cannot be confused with other ear disease.
But if a cat owner is not enough experienced and not experienced with this disease, then he should know that during the disease manifest the following symptoms:
- The cat always tries to scratch the affected ear, with time it becomes red and inflamed.
- The pet possible shooting or aching pain, the pet does not want to spend time with the owner, avoids the affection and allows you to stroke her.
- If the stage of otitis media is the most dangerous, on the ear there are sores and even swelling.
- The cat may raise the body temperature.
- The ears have an unpleasant odor, and often they appear pus formation.
- The cat is getting antsy, can quickly respond to their environment, and seem scared.
- A cat may ignore attempts to feed her and attracting her attention with treats.