Different viral and bacterial diseases of cats and dogs can cause their death if not promptly treated. So be sure when an animal will develop the first clinical symptoms of a disease, it must immediately take to the vet, the doctor could diagnose, and then prescribe the right treatment.
For the treatment of infections of various origins cats often prescribe antibiotics, for example Amoxicillin or Amoxil retard.
Amoxicillin for cats: characteristics and composition
Drug Amoxil Retard contains the main active ingredient amoxicillin trihidrat. The same base material and the drug Amoxicillin. This tool has a wide and comprehensive range of actions considered to be quite effective. Able to exert a prolonged effect. Amoxicillin helps to rid the animal from viral and bacterial diseases.
Amoxicillin trihidrat the category of semi-synthetic antibiotics.
Its characteristics are as follows:
- the drug is introduced subcutaneous and intramuscular way;
- the maximum concentration of drug in the blood of the animal occurs 2 hours after administration;
- the therapeutic effect is able to stay about 2-3 days;
- the drug will not exert an irritant effect;
- cats are usually well – tolerated medication;
- the drug is moderately toxic.
Amoxicillin has a devastating effect on a large number of harmful microorganisms.
If we talk about the form of the release, the drug Amoxil sold in the form of a sterile solution for injection in plastic or glass vials by 50, 100 or 250 ml. solution has a deep yellow rich color.
As Amoxicillin is sold in bottles of 10, 100 or 250 ml After opening, the vial should be stored for not longer than 28 days according to the recommendations in the instructions for use. Unopened packaging stored not longer than three years.
Amoxicillin for cats: indications for use
According to the instructions for use, indications for use are the following:
- infectious diseases of the gastrointestinal tract in cats that are triggered by bacterial infections (enteritis, gastroenteritis and gastroenterocolitis);
- rhinitis, bronchitis, bronchopneumonia and pneumonia;
- background mastitis on lactation in cats;
- on the background of the treatment of wounds;
- metritis, urethritis, pyelonephritis, cystitis, endometrit;
- of joint inflammation and abscess;
- disease soft tissues;
- skin diseases and their complications;
- other diseases provoked by viruses and microorganisms.
Pharmacological properties of Amoxicillin
If you read the instructions for use, you can see that this drug is able to fight effectively against gram-positive and gram-negative organisms:
- Actinobacillus spp.;
- Actinomyces spp;
- Bacillus anthracis;
- Staphylococcus spp;
- Clostridium spp;
- Proteus mirabilis and others.
Among other properties:
- penitsillinazoobrazuyuschih strains of microbes the drug is no action does not provide;
- when using inhibited fermentation of carboxypeptidase and transpeptidaza, causing the bacteria die and do not grow further;
- long-term effect of the drug due to the presence in the composition of the oil filler, which slowly enters the bloodstream;
- when administered orally Amoxicillin rapidly absorbed and rapidly distributed in tissues and organs of a cat;
- the accumulation in plasma of small to 17 percent, the maximum concentration is achieved in the intestine, kidney, stomach, liver and muscles. In a small amount of the drug enters the brain and bone fluid, it is impossible to prescribe the drug in inflammatory diseases of the meninges;
- the maximum concentration in blood occurs in approximately 60-90 minutes after application, at the required level action continues for 48 hours. The drug is almost not metabolized and is excreted in the urine, bile and milk.
Amoxicillin for cats: instructions for use
Features of application of the drug depend on its shape.
If we talk about the Amoxicillin in the form of a suspension, but he has the form of a 15% solution. It is prescribed in diseases of soft tissues, inflammation of the genitourinary system, the organs of the urogenital and respiratory tract, and skin infections. Be sure to shake it before use.
The dosage depends on the weight of the animal at the rate of 1 ml suspension per 10 kg of body weight. Again the antibiotic take only two days, when it will take effect after the first application. This is necessary in cases when there is a complicated form of bacterial and viral infections, and is done by the doctor.
Injection cats are injected subcutaneously or intramuscularly, then the injection is performed a light massage, to prevent abscess and rapid dispersal of the drug.
I should add that if the doctor assigns a dosage of more than 20 ml, the solution of the drug should be administered in different locations on the body of the cat multiple injections.
Before application of the slurry the contents of the vial should be thoroughly shaken to get a homogeneous uniform mixture. For the administration of funds is necessary to use only sterile needles and disposable syringes.
Instructions for use of tablets
The antibiotic Amoxicillin in pill form the pharmacy can be purchased under such names as:
Efficiency of action of the drug in this form is due to present in the composition of clavulanic acid.
The dosage indicated in the instructions for use. The tablet may have a weight of 0.25 g and 0.5 g to Dispense medication needs to be in accordance with the weight of the cat. This form is a very convenient option for aggressive or young animals compared with the solutions for injection.
Possible side effects and contraindications
If you cook on the presence of side effects after the use of Amoxicillin, the animal may experience allergic reaction in case of intolerance to its components. They will take place gradually when the drug will be cancelled. But if the Allergy is still there, the cats need to introduce corticosteroids and adrenaline.
There are such contraindications to use drugs:
- sensitivity to antibiotics of penicillin group, or their intolerance;
- it is impossible to apply the drug during lactation because it is excreted together with milk;
- it is impossible to introduce the medicine intravenously;
- it is forbidden to use the product for the treatment of antibacterial diseases, which form penicillinase;
- you can not mix the remedy with other medicines.
Such a drug, as Amoxicillin for cats need to use to treat only on the recommendation of the attending physician. But self-treatment of animals with it, can be given to prevent possible complications.